Discuss Help pricing 3 bed rewire please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All - Hope you all had a good Christmas!

I have just recently started my own business and struggle to price work as never had anything to do with that side of things in the past.

Job is to Rewire a 3 bed Detached house

Attic - New radial circuit with 2 sockets. 2 lighting points with 1 two way switch (to first floor landing) - (Attic fully boarded)

1st floor -
3 bedrooms each with 3 new chased twin sockets. Each with 1 lighting point and 1 switch. Main bedroom to have wardrobe lighting point with single switch (chased). 2 bedrooms to have Switched fused spur + install ring camera back entry to external wall.

Bathroom - 1 lighting point 1 switch, 1x 12v outlet (from lighting circuit) 1 extract via 3 pole isolator

Hallway - 1 new wall light with 1 way switch. Landing light with 2 way switch to ground floor. 1 twin socket (chased).

Mid staircase- New twin socket

Ground floor

Hallway - 1 twin socket chased. 4 spot lights. 2 way switching (hallway and living room).

Downstairs bathroom - 1 lighting point (1 switch). 1 extract via 3 pole isolator. 1x 12v shaver socket via lighting circuit.
Shower circuit via DP isolator.

Store room - 2 twin sockets (in stud wall). Lighting point (1 switch)

Living room - 7 twin sockets (chased). 2 lighting points (2 separate switches). Switched fused spur.

Garage - 3 sockets, 2 lights and 3 switch drops (intermediate switching) (sockets and switches in 20mm pvc conduit approx 12m to instal).
New fuse board + Test and certification. (Gas and water 10mm earth bonding already present).
No works in kitchen as is an extension and cable readings were satisfactory.

House completely empty - 1 man and 1 labourer to complete works

Any input feedback would be greatly appreciated ??

I do a drawing if that help

try the price per point way. assuming plastic accessories. £60 per point (+ add cost of any accessries costing over a fiver). Then £300 - £500 CU cost depending on type of board.

e.g. 50 points £3000, adittional cost of fan.coojer point etc,say £250, DB £400... Total £3650.

beer goggles typo.
Just worked similar principle to post#2, no 'making good' plus VAT over £4k
soth east prices generally 20% - 30% above those in the civilised north. and i didn't join VAT. no benefit.so same ballpark .

typo.should have bin cookerpoint.

My area you would be looking at £5000 ball park , that would be rcbo board and decent brand accessories etc
prices have gine up a lot in recent years , a 3 bed basic rewire 3 years ago would have been £3-3,5 , now £4-5ooo

try the price per point way. assuming plastic accessories. £60 per point (+ add cost of any accessries costing over a fiver). Then £300 - £500 CU cost depending on type of board.

e.g. 50 points £3000, adittional cost of fan.coojer point etc,say £250, DB £400... Total £3650.
Thanks mate - Is that for every switch and every socket we price it at £60 a point? For example bedroom has 3 sockets 1 light and 1 switch = £300?

Thanks mate - Is that for every switch and every socket we price it at £60 a point? For example bedroom has 3 sockets 1 light and 1 switch = £300?
yes. a point is anypoint that you run cable/s to.

I estimated 7 days with a labourer so - Priced them £2100 - For labour only - Thoughts on this anyone?
basically, that's just wages. you need to add at least £600 to that, first to cover cost of any call backs ( hopefully none), and to allow the business to grow. don't forget, time spent doing paperwork, fetching materials, and days when yo have no work on. all costs you. then there's the unexpected . sprain ankle getting off a ladder, 1 week unable to earn. not to mention any more serious injuries.

basically, that's just wages. you need to add at least £600 to that, first to cover cost of any call backs ( hopefully none), and to allow the business to grow. don't forget, time spent doing paperwork, fetching materials, and days when yo have no work on. all costs you. then there's the unexpected . sprain ankle getting off a ladder, 1 week unable to earn. not to mention any more serious injuries.

exactky this ...

if the Labour is 2 grand whack 30% on that to cover for other stuff

i price it that way, then estimate materials + time. I add 15% to allow for contingencies. generally the difference is less than £300. whichever figure is highest, .that's my quote.

and before the grammar police pick on it. i should have said higher, not highest. as it's the higher of 2. highest applies to more than 2, for the innumerate members, that's 3 or more.

£2100 is definitely under priced. However, with it being your first rewire then perhaps just go with that price as the experience will be great. I underpriced my first rewire, but I'm glad I did as it was good to get one under the belt. Next time give a more 'average' quote as you don't want a reputation for being cheap.
I would be about £5000 in total.

Reply to Help pricing 3 bed rewire please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net