Discuss Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am not defending the plumber, but wasn't the crawlway there for access to the tank? if the base for the tank was put in by the carpenter then that's where it was fitted, but even then it was probably easier to fit where they did, pipes are not as easy to bend around corners as cable.

the tank was fitted right next to the loft hatch, so that the crawl way was completely blocked. as the hatch was situated 4ft. from 1 gable end it would make sense to fit the tank other side of hatch, leaving the 30ft. crawlway open to the other end.

Hi , I've recently started on a new build site in essex, self employed sub contracting for a colchester company for which I have done work for 3 years .recently I've started to take the prices as a personal insult. A 3 bed house 1st fix including 2x data, 2x tv points 3x bt around 16 x sockets , 2 zone combi heating with weather compensater, oven and separate hob,3x smokes 1x heat , 1x co detectors, 4x fans, shaver socket, 10xlights and switches and 2x outside lights and garage supply is £250 which is around £600 pound less than the plumbers 1st fix price! How can anyone do a good job for that? And apart from walk off site ( which I have done) what can be done? And why are electricians the worse paid trade on new build sites?oh and the 2nd fix price was £10 less
It's because people are accepting it.

Did a lot of houses in the 80’s they were ridiculously cheap then…
Its hard work & non stop especially when the site agent won’t sign extras…can you have a look at the CH in plot 7… power not working in …etc.
Realistically a 3/4 bedroom 1st fix is gonna take @ least 2 days…@ a push a day & a halve.
2nd fix/3rd fix @ least 2 days
All based on a mate with you …or even a Spark.

even 1990s prices were incredibly cheap compared to the last 10-15 years

I started towards the late 1990s and I still remember my dad quoting around 1500 quid for a full rewire of a 3 bed house , fully chased in , new board , new bonding , new tails etc etc

1500 quid today would get you a new board and thats about it

i still remember getting 75 quid a day to wire new builds when i started , and that was considered decent money , even the more experienced sparks were only pulling 120-130 per day when i started new flats site work

I started towards the late 1990s and I still remember my dad quoting around 1500 quid for a full rewire of a 3 bed house , fully chased in , new board , new bonding , new tails etc etc
Using this calculator:

£1,500 in 1990 would be £3,486.63 in 2020, or if it was partying like 1999 then £2,658.39

However, the "inflation rate" is always an odd mix of goods and services, so some stuff in under-represented and other stuff over-represented in trying to gauge the purchasing power of a currency. In both cases it is a bit short of the ~£5k is you would be starting at today?

Using this calculator:

£1,500 in 1990 would be £3,486.63 in 2020, or if it was partying like 1999 then £2,658.39

However, the "inflation rate" is always an odd mix of goods and services, so some stuff in under-represented and other stuff over-represented in trying to gauge the purchasing power of a currency. In both cases it is a bit short of the ~£5k is you would be starting at today?
Yes a basic rewire today would be about 5 large , maybe even 6 large

i dunno, in 1209 you'd not be able to buy a copy of rhe Magna Carta for £1,000,000.

I know a contractor in London, and this was about 10 years ago. He would not consider a rewire for less than 10k.
Im talking VERY BASIC , if we are talking a modern basic 3 bed re-wire all chased in with usb sockets , led downlights and rcbo board you will be looking at £10-12K in my area of Surrey, that would not include any out buildings. I helped a mate on a hug re-wire just before lockdown and that came to about £54,000 but was a massive house with detached garages , 3 bathrooms , 5 bedrooms. It took 2 of us about 8-9 weeks to cpmplete and test

Reply to Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net