Discuss Why do i have 3 red wires (one with brown tape) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jtg123

DIY
Reaction score
So I recently changed my light switch and thought it was OK but in the evening the lights started flickers and when I switched on one light it turned another one off in the bathroom so I presume I have done something wrong even though I though I matched it up in the same way as my old switch.one of the red wires has brown tape on it. Can someone help me please!

Attachments

• 20220124_213333.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 34
Put the old switch back on exactly how it was originally

That switch looks like it is metal. Does it have an earth terminal on it? That you haven't used?
What are the terminal markings on the switch, and which one have you connected the red with the brown tape to?
Is there another switch that controls the same light?

My assumption here is the taped red is the switch wire, should be in L1 (other terminal markings may apply here)
The other two reds will both be supply live. Should be together, and should be connected to C or squiggly line with arrow through it in the case of a dimmer.

As above, the metal switch needs earthed…

The flashing you mention may be because the lights are LED, and the dimmer is a conventional type, unsuitable for LED loads.

Which area of UK are you? There’s maybe a forum member can visit and fix it for a small alcoholic fee.

That switch looks like it is metal. Does it have an earth terminal on it? That you haven't used?
What are the terminal markings on the switch, and which one have you connected the red with the brown tape to?
Is there another switch that controls the same light?
So I have now placed the middle red wire into the same port as the squiggly arrow which now makes the lights in the room work and the hallway light no longer flickers and the ensuite ones are working fine but the ones in the main bedroom won't turn on still.IMG-20220124-WA0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t suppose you have a picture of how it was before you changed the switch?

The switch plate was earthed you can see where it has broken off.

What type of fitting does the bedroom have is the lamp actually okay?

The switch plate was earthed you can see where it has broken off.
The earth wire was sorted after the photo I have reattached where it was broken off but the issue of the main bedroom lights still not working still remains

Before you do anything else sort out that earth connection!
The earth wire was sorted after the photo I have reattached where it was broken off but the issue of the main bedroom lights still not working still remains

Reply to Why do i have 3 red wires (one with brown tape) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net