Discuss Why does the UK use rings for sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Never resist, it's nice to think I keep you on your TOW'S but it's very gratifying that you need to follow my post so closely, you obviously have nothing better to do?

I seem to have started a bit of a discussion on this point, with nicebutdim and his sycophant DPG, but as you become more mature you find that trays are a convenient thing to use when you wish to eat in comfort in the living room watching the TV, the children have moved out and you do what you want rather than panda to your wants or your aspiration's for them.

Flippant or not my comment re "Kitchen Designers" being an oxymoron was a genuine comment, the design of a kitchen layout is one of the easiest things to do, if you can draw and work to scale, if that is too difficult for some then so be it, be in awe of those that can.

I think you're giving me too much credit by implying that anyone might care about my opinions.

Getting back on track, the point I was making is that those guys need to turn out work to a certain aesthetic and practical standard. While customers will make all manner of requests that need to be accomodated, it's unlikely that many will request space for sockets inbetween appliances - furthermore, if this inclusion was suggested to those customers, I suspect the vast majority would dismiss the idea out of hand. I'm not in awe of kitchen designers, but simply recognise the fact that they're serving customers and, while they can suggest various ideas, can not force those customers into anything that isn't a legal requirement.

To put it another way; if I'd suggested that our recent kitchen had incorporated a tray space, I can assure you that Mrs nicebutdim would have made herself very clear in explaining that nothing of the sort would be a part of her new kitchen.

My own view on fitted kitchens is the concern that once an appliance dies you can't get a replacement that fits the "fitted" hole. In my own case i have very limited depth for the washing machine and recently found only 2-3 models out of 100+ on most sites would fit. Same issue with the fridge/freezer, NEF stopped making that size years ago so I had to get creative with the jigsaw to fit something else :(

Maybe not a concern for those who feel an "upgrade" is needed every 5 years, but for a tight-wad like myself I want to use the same layout for decades!

The sliding tray space with door I have incorporated into our kitchen design in France, is also used to house the many cutting boards we have, it is so convenient I can't see us doing without it, cleans up the kitchen worktops and stops us have to search for a cutting board.

Attachments

• Why does the UK use rings for sockets? 2012-07-28 02.41.18 - EletriciansForums.net
    2012-07-28 02.41.18.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 11
My own view on fitted kitchens is the concern that once an appliance dies you can't get a replacement that fits the "fitted" hole. In my own case i have very limited depth for the washing machine and recently found only 2-3 models out of 100+ on most sites would fit. Same issue with the fridge/freezer, NEF stopped making that size years ago so I had to get creative with the jigsaw to fit something else :(

Maybe not a concern for those who feel an "upgrade" is needed every 5 years, but for a tight-wad like myself I want to use the same layout for decades!

Most appliances are of fairly standard dimensions in kitchens built during the last 30+ years. Integrated microwaves would be the main exception and it's basically impossible to replace them without leaving (or having to fill) gaps.

The sliding tray space with door I have incorporated into our kitchen design in France, is also used to house the many cutting boards we have, it is so convenient I can't see us doing without it, cleans up the kitchen worktops and stops us have to search for a cutting board.

I'd have no issue with that design, Mike. I just don't see it being an easy sell to the average punter.

Nearly everyone I know has more than one cutting board, where do they keep them, mostly on the worktops cluttering up the usable area, most of the people I know are average punter's. (wink face)

Yes. Unfortunately time teaches all sparks that the jigsaw is an essential tool when working in kitchens. I find replacing hobs to be the worst culprit in this regard.
Regarding kitchens in general though, two of my golden rules are..
1 get kitchen plan
2 get kitchen fitters number
After that I can usually work out the easiest wiring routes and most convenient locations for installing appliances sockets. Plus I suggest to customers where the isolators can be mounted in order to be be "accessible" but "out of sight". Don't like looking at them myself. Spoils the tiling too

The sliding tray space with door I have incorporated into our kitchen design in France, is also used to house the many cutting boards we have, it is so convenient I can't see us doing without it, cleans up the kitchen worktops and stops us have to search for
I like this, design by the way. Works a treat in utilities where homeowners are, nt fixated on appearance.
Regarding kitchen design, I have done 2 of my own where I built what I call a"tower unit". Basically it's a converted fridge freezer unit where I place instead all the appliances you would normally use in a kitchen along with all the sockets, isolators etc. When you walk in to my kitchen you ee only 1 socket for the kettle and it's covered by the fruit bowl. Tried to get kitchen designers interested in it but zero interest I, m afraid ?

I've only got one chopping board... it's used so often it's almost become a permanent fixture to the worktop. In fact since the wife left me... it really has become a permanent fixture as it's kind of glued itself to the worktop. It's hard to see exactly what's holding it down with all the breadcrumbs and congealed bits around it though...

I've only got one chopping board... it's used so often it's almost become a permanent fixture to the worktop. In fact since the wife left me... it really has become a permanent fixture as it's kind of glued itself to the worktop. It's hard to see exactly what's holding it down with all the breadcrumbs and congealed bits around it though...

We've got 2 chopping boards in use. And a glass worktop saver - does that count?

We've got 2 chopping boards in use. And a glass worktop saver - does that count?
From rings and radials to chopping boards. Gotta, love the versatility of this forum?

Reply to Why does the UK use rings for sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock