Discuss Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Three images are attached here. Two show the dimmer switch connections and one shows one of the two light fittings.

There are two identical light fittings (six total bulbs) on this dimmer switch. It has one knob only but it sorta works. It's been like this for some time but I think it's how I wired it that's the problem.

There are two identical light fittings and I bought this dimmer switch:

But they sent one with only one knob. I didn't think anything of it as the lights do turn on with this dimmer switch. It just takes a really long time and sometimes up to like 15 times pressing the switch to get the lights to turn on.

Is it wired incorrectly? Is the dimmer switch actually the wrong one sent out?

Please help!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? thumbnail_20210828_193400 - EletriciansForums.net
    thumbnail_20210828_193400.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? thumbnail_20210828_193422 - EletriciansForums.net
    thumbnail_20210828_193422.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? thumbnail_20210828_193443 - EletriciansForums.net
    thumbnail_20210828_193443.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
If your original switch had two switches then your new dimmer needs two switches. You have managed to incorporate two switching circuits into one, you need a dimmer with two switches and not one.

The light bulbs you show seem to be 'Edison' filament types. If they are say 40Watts each, and you have two fittings with 3 bulbs each, that's a 240 Watt load on a 120 Watt dimmer.
Even if they are 25 watt bulbs, that is still more than the rating of the dimmer.
Dont join two lighting circuits like that, but I think the fundamental problem is the single dimmer is not rated for the load you have. Had you received the dual version, no problem!

but it sorta works.
It may switch on and off and possibly dim but with a load potentially double that of the rated dimmer capacity it might not sorta work for too long.
Please tidy up those terminations and earth the front plate, there is a terminal for the earth, its not just for show!

Hi

Thank you for responding!

Quickly:

My confidence to attempt electrical works has gone up immensely after I have read the answers to my question here!

Now, for the resolution, I've taken the first step of requesting the right dimmer switch be sent to me with this email sent to the people I bought it from via socketstore.co.uk:

An invoice is attached here. The Screwless Antique Brass LED Dimmer Switch (2 Gang) was not received. Instead, I received two of the single dimmer switches. The one in the image had two dimmer knobs. The ones I received only had one each. I thought there was no error (for some reason which I've forgotten now) and proceeded to install the switches.

You can find the problems that resulted from this error in this thread which I have started on electriciansforums.net:

I understand it has been some time since the order, but the reason for this is primarily due to lack of time as I just installed what came and didn't have time to go back and correct anything. I thought it might start working correctly after the dimmer switch was programmed which it hasn't been still. But the problem is the switch itself that was sent out was the wrong one.

Please send the Screwless Antique Brass LED Dimmer Switch (2 Gang) which I paid for but never received. Also, please advise on what you would like me to do with the single switch which was sent in its place.

This is the switch I need to be sent to me in order to correct the problem with the installation:

it's not complicated, just witchcraft. that's why electricians attend Hogwort for 4 years to get qualified.

it's not complicated, just witchcraft. that's why electricians attend Hogwort for 4 years to get qualified.

Pfft.

Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The correct dimmer switch is on the way.

Response to email with technical content regarding dimmer switch:

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn that the incorrect item had been sent to you and that there is also an issue with the item. We do usually ask for our customer to notify us within three days of receiving the order, if there has been a error.

However, on this occasion, I will arrange for 1 x LAB512 to be sent as a replacement. Please note these dimmers do have three different setting available and one of the settings should work with the lamps you have chosen to use. The dimmers have a maximum wattage load of 120W or a maximum of 10 lamps on each of the gangs on the dimmer.

As long as the load and number of lamps is correct, the dimmer should then work correctly. A copy of the instructions is included with the item. If they are not there, please let us know and we can send them via email.

Once the replacement has been received, the other item can be dispose of. There is no need for you to return the item back to us.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused and if there is anything else I can help with, please do let me know.

All fixed! No explosions yet. There was a fire initially when I hit the fusebox switches all back on. But after it burned itself out, there's only been the odd spark here or there.

If there's any problems, I'll update accordingly. But it works! Thank you!

the good old bang test. the preferred method in the USA.

Reply to Why Does This Dimmer Switch Not Work Correctly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock