Discuss WiFi Fire Alarms to Residential Buildings only ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A recent conversation with Aico technical enquiring to maybe fit wifi devices in a commercial environment, workshops, business units. Surprisingly, you will need permission from Building control or a Fire Chief before installing them as they are for Domestic or residential use only. Does this apply to all Wifi Fire Alarm Systems?

Possibly.

The allowance of radio linked smoke detectors are for domestic only, considering the upheaval of wired interlinked.
Commercial/ industrial will not have that allowance yet. Their insurance policies may well state wired only.

Aico don’t use Wi-Fi linked smokes, only radio between the units.

I had a discussion with an Aico rep the other day, and he was adamant that in Scotland, with the new rules, you could still use smokes with replaceable battery’s in a private dwelling. The sealed rechargeable were only for rented accommodation.
I told him he was wrong.

Interesting...
WiFi interconnected?
Wirelessly interconnected by radio module, ie "wireless" rather than WiFi?
Wireless, but with WiFi interrogation via an app?
Wireless by bluetooth?

I don't pretend to know all the systems available, or their applicability, so genuinely interested to hear the views of others on this.
I wouldn't want to be totally dependent on a WiFi signal...

The rules in Scotland were indeed that sealed rechargeable were first introduced for rentals, but subsequent to a consultation and submissions from anyone who wanted to join the debate (mine ran to 6 pages!) the Govt. decided to allow them in all dwellings, sensibly in my view. There was a time after that where a new-build had to have wired ones as that was required by BC regs and after that I lost interest!

A recent conversation with Aico technical enquiring to maybe fit wifi devices in a commercial environment, workshops, business units. Surprisingly, you will need permission from Building control or a Fire Chief before installing them as they are for Domestic or residential use only. Does this apply to all Wifi Fire Alarm Systems?
best taking that up with your insurance and checking your your fire risk assessment, i only install wireless systems if it a listed building hope this helps

Reply to WiFi Fire Alarms to Residential Buildings only ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net