Discuss WiFi interference due to electrical wiring or appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Good weekend all, I am with talktalk as my internet provider, for the last 4months I have been having intimmetent internet connection.
I have spoken to talktalk and BTopenreach, visited the premise and replaced modem and BT box indoor so many times, unfortunately the problem persist, no red light on gateway.
They said they can't find any fault which have left me completely disoriented and I don't know what next.
The engineer who visited said there could be electrical fault or appliance causing the problem, but even in the middle of the night when everything is off, The WiFi drops.
Has any of you have had the same prblem and how did you dealt with it?

Unplug all the charging devices in your property.

I assume you have you router plugged into the master connection?

Which BT router have you got?

Only things i have heard of causing wifi to drop out is lights such as xmas lights or festoon lighting in some cases.
It acts as a giant antenna emitting interference.
Have you tried switching your wifi over to 5ghz or a different channel?
Sometimes it helps.
Give us your router make and model number then i can point you in the right direction.

Ditch the useless BT router and buy your own. Nothing but problems imo. I changed all of my setup to: Huawei Echolife HG612 modem + Asus RT router and everything is much better now.

Do you know how far you are from the exchange? As this can have a big impact on signal attenuation.

To many telephone extensions can also cause problems with signal as it picks everything bad up along the way

Last edited:
The OP says he has no red light on his router for gateway.
Does that mean he has a hard wired connection, or that the hard wired connection has dropped out?

If it's wifi drop outs then can be many things: Security protocol, channel, band, clutter on the network, building structure. I had problems with wifi disconnection once and it turned out the wifi card didn't like (n) so I had to use it in (g) only

I've had a similar problem with EE Broadband for around 2 years. Whenever I complain they first talk me through resetting the router which does not help. Next they say they will send me a new router (I have 4 now) which also does not help. Then they send one of their technicians who says he will forward it to Open Reach. Finally an Open Reach technician arrives who cannot find anything wrong as by this time it is working. I have asked them to put me on a new copper pair from the exchange but so far have had no success. Four months later the whole process is repeated.
Just this weekend I have started to get dropouts again and I've had enough. First thing Monday morning I'm going to ask for a PAC code and will try another supplier. The reason I've not done before is because I realise it will be the same cable from the same exchange, but hopefully I will get a more proactive supplier.

Good weekend all, I am with talktalk as my internet provider, for the last 4months I have been having intimmetent internet connection.
I have spoken to talktalk and BTopenreach, visited the premise and replaced modem and BT box indoor so many times, unfortunately the problem persist, no red light on gateway.
They said they can't find any fault which have left me completely disoriented and I don't know what next.
The engineer who visited said there could be electrical fault or appliance causing the problem, but even in the middle of the night when everything is off, The WiFi drops.
Has any of you have had the same prblem and how did you dealt with it?

Regularly have 'drop outs' in my house. Had the line checked a couple of times. Dry joints repaired apparently.

I've read all sorts of devices can cause problems, device chargers, dimmer switches etc.

Unplug all the charging devices in your property.

I assume you have you router plugged into the master connection?

Which BT router have you got?
Thanks Murdoch. I waited for everyone to go to bed the other day and disconnected everything, but it still dropped.
For router, I have Dlink DSL3782.
Yes am connected ti the master socket.

Last edited:
I've had a similar problem with EE Broadband for around 2 years. Whenever I complain they first talk me through resetting the router which does not help. Next they say they will send me a new router (I have 4 now) which also does not help. Then they send one of their technicians who says he will forward it to Open Reach. Finally an Open Reach technician arrives who cannot find anything wrong as by this time it is working. I have asked them to put me on a new copper pair from the exchange but so far have had no success. Four months later the whole process is repeated.
Just this weekend I have started to get dropouts again and I've had enough. First thing Monday morning I'm going to ask for a PAC code and will try another supplier. The reason I've not done before is because I realise it will be the same cable from the same exchange, but hopefully I will get a more proactive supplier.
I feel you, am the same. I had the forth one send last week and apparently their system is showing am receiving stable 40mgs.
All engineers have said there nothing wrong with my line from the box which aboit 500m from the hoise.

Only things i have heard of causing wifi to drop out is lights such as xmas lights or festoon lighting in some cases.
It acts as a giant antenna emitting interference.
Have you tried switching your wifi over to 5ghz or a different channel?
Sometimes it helps.
Give us your router make and model number then i can point you in the right direction.
I have both 2.4 and 5.0ghz turned on. I will try changing to 5.0ghz

Have you checked what channels your neighbours are using ?

There are free analysers

Very unlikely to be interference inside the house. Not unless you have a line of fluorescent tubes and a couple of microwave ovens between the router and the device.
Solid brick walls, yes. But the problem would be there permanently.

You are on the master socket and I assume a filter in place? Have you tried swapping that for a new one?
If its not the router, since its been replaced a few times, then it can only be the incoming telephone cable. Do you hear interference when making a normal voice call? Cutting out? could be a dodgy connection.

Not all your devices will be dual band (or I wouldn't think so) so taking out either the 2.4 or the 5GHz could stop certain things from connecting.
With BT I know you can rename either one or other of the bandwidths. This is what BT suggested when my router was playing up. 7 months of the same 'troubleshooting' over the phone (turn it off and turn it back on) they eventually sent a new router that fixed everything.

Hi - can you clarify for me please - is the link stable or is it dropping as well as the wifi? I have a DVR that powers up when 2 legged rats are near and it slows down wifi throughput, but it doesn't kill it. How do you know the wifi is dropping (sorry for my dumb questions :)).

Hi - can you clarify for me please - is the link stable or is it dropping as well as the wifi? I have a DVR that powers up when 2 legged rats are near and it slows down wifi throughput, but it doesn't kill it. How do you know the wifi is dropping (sorry for my dumb questions :)).

Probably when OP can't ask questions on a forum :)

Reply to WiFi interference due to electrical wiring or appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock