Discuss Will this fuse board require work prior to EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

r8sso80

DIY
Reaction score
I was just about to book an EICR inspection for my property when the decorator said he didn't think the fuse board would pass. He said there was no RCD on the top board and partial on the bottom one. So rather than pay twice I was thinking of getting any potential work done first prior to the EICR.

The fuse board is in a plastic case which I wasn't sure on either?

Based on just the visual, would I need work on both, just one or neither?!

Thanks in advanceWill this fuse board require work prior to EICR? Fuse Board - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Then purpose of the EICR is to produce a report, and ultimately an assessment of whether the installation is fit for continued use - and reccomendations as to what will be required to make it so.

So in short, the object of the EICR is to identify what needs improving.

You're definitely best to go down this route rather than replacing things / making changes at what is effectively random.

As above, get a competent spark in to do the inspection and then decide. If you can let folks on this forum know roughly where you are (town or post code, not actual address) someone on here would be a good start.

From the photo you have, and assuming it is all in good condition to the standards applying at the time, it is probably OK as in a C3 code for improvement recommended but no immediate danger. That is based on the sockets have RCD protection but other circuits not.

But...that is subject to lots of assumptions from my position here on a chair 500 miles away! There could well be things that need attention that are very dangerous (like broken sockets exposing live parts, etc) but that are cheap to fix, etc, to other issues like failing cable from rodent damage that are expensive to fix. Without inspecting and testing no one knows!

A very useful resource is the Best Practice guide #4 available for free here:

(I just noticed it has been updated for ammendement 2 to the 18th edition regs so I will have to read it myself again!)

I was just about to book an EICR inspection for my property when the decorator said he didn't think the fuse board would pass.

It's unusual for a decorator to have much knowledge of the wiring regulations so I wouldn't take too much heed of what they are saying.

That consumer unit won't necessarily prevent you from getting a 'satisfactory' result on an EICR, but there will definately be items which are recommended for improvement.

It is ultimately up to the electrician inspecting the installation to decide what is, or is not, satisfactory.

As above, get a competent spark in to do the inspection and then decide. If you can let folks on this forum know roughly where you are (town or post code, not actual address) someone on here would be a good start.

From the photo you have, and assuming it is all in good condition to the standards applying at the time, it is probably OK as in a C3 code for improvement recommended but no immediate danger. That is based on the sockets have RCD protection but other circuits not.

But...that is subject to lots of assumptions from my position here on a chair 500 miles away! There could well be things that need attention that are very dangerous (like broken sockets exposing live parts, etc) but that are cheap to fix, etc, to other issues like failing cable from rodent damage that are expensive to fix. Without inspecting and testing no one knows!

A very useful resource is the Best Practice guide #4 available for free here:

(I just noticed it has been updated for amendment 2 to the 18th edition regs so I will have to read it myself again!)
Thanks for this, very helpful. From the comments it seems a bit like whether you "pass/fail" an EICR is down to a bit of interpretation on the electrician! I thought it would have been a clear set of rules that meant you'd get the same results regardless of which electrician attended. Feels geared towards the electrician upselling work as I've had one immediately tell me that he couldn't provide a satisfactory EICR if the fuse board is in a plastic case.

Thanks for this, very helpful. From the comments it seems a bit like whether you "pass/fail" an EICR is down to a bit of interpretation on the electrician! I thought it would have been a clear set of rules that meant you'd get the same results regardless of which electrician attended. Feels geared towards the electrician upselling work as I've had one immediately tell me that he couldn't provide a satisfactory EICR if the fuse board is in a plastic case.
There is lots of guidance - and a fairly intensive training course to become qualified to do Eicrs, which does result in some consistency - but yes there is a degree of individual interpretation.

You can choose to employ an electrician or dedicated testing firm to undertake the test and then another firm to complete the remedial works. This is perfectly acceptable and allows two different contractors to view it individually.

I have to commission large EICRs for commercial and sometimes employ this technique

The primary focus of an EICR is to report on the condition of the installation, to determine primarily if its safe for continued use. You could interpret the satisfactory/non satisfactory status as a "pass or fail" but an EICR also determines if the installation could be improved, by this - "improved safety/protection" or requires more further investigation. Items identified will be coded accordingly, requiring different actions, some immediate others as recommendation.

There is no obligation by law for you to complete the improvements. But should something happen where by an investigation leading to potential prosecution might occur then this report would be used as evidence.

I like to explain to my customers that safety improvements are essential in that they may potentially save a person from serious injury, or even death. The regulations are there to ensure that installations are completed/improved to a minimum safety standard. Improving an installation to the current regs is not always necessary (depends on the findings of the report) but in doing so you have the peace of mind that you have done you upmost to ensure the installation is safe to use for you and your loved ones.

My advice is as the others have said, have the report completed first (by an experienced, ideally recommended electrician) then you can decide on what actions you would like to take.

Feels geared towards the electrician upselling work

The system is designed on the assumption that people are honest and wouldn't do that.

I've had one immediately tell me that he couldn't provide a satisfactory EICR if the fuse board is in a plastic case.

That electrician may have misunderstood the rules, I'd suggest trying elsewhere.

Personally I have always supported having a different contractor carry out inspections and reporting to the one that carries out remedial work.

What it all boils down too is if you want the installation brought up to the latest Regulations or you just want a report on the installation, it could be Satisfactory according to the date it was installed and the Regulations at the time, an EICR will probably have lots of C3's indicating "requires improvement", Regulations are not retrospective.

Different rules apply to rented accommodation, or if you are a Landlord.

It's unusual for a decorator to have much knowledge of the wiring regulations so I wouldn't take too much heed of what they are saying.
Your right, but he does seem to have a lot more knowledge than the OP......and it is good advice given to say that he didn't 'THINK the fuseboard would pass', thus suggesting an inspection would be advisable.

Reply to Will this fuse board require work prior to EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock