Discuss Wired Ring Floodlight Cam - On Existing Motion Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

got1878

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can kindly advise on an issue I'm having.

I had an Electrician install a couple of these hardwired ring floodlight cameras this morning;

We have a handful of old motion lights on the property. The electrician used this existing wiring to install the new cameras.

You can see one here: https://i.postimg.cc/XNtMfYJh/camera1.jpg

You can see the fusebox here, the one marked 'Sec Lights' is for the old motion lights/wiring.

They work great initially but as soon as the old motion lights turn off, the camera loses power and the device is asking for a new setup.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong?

I assume the lights are controlled by a separate motion detector in which case this is bound to happen as the lights have no permanent feed, they should have realised this.

Sounds like the wirings bodged

Thanks for the reply.

The old motion lights work fine though.

So does the new ring floodlight if I turn off and on at the fusebox - until the old motion lights go off.

It's like if the old motion lights detect motion and turn on, then it calls for the power that turns on the the new ring floodlight.

I assume the lights are controlled by a separate motion detector in which case this is bound to happen as the lights have no permanent feed, they should have realised this.

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it. This was my novice understanding.

I also wondered if the fusebox (picture linked in my post) which has '6v' on was not good enough for the new ring doorbell.

Is there an easy enough fox or can the lights that are controlled by a motion detector not suitable for a ring floodlight cameras?

What's a 'ring floodlight'?
No permanent live, maybe?
...and no rcd?

Thanks. I linked the product in my first post.

I've read online that people do tend to fit them into replacing existing exterior lights. I assume the setup of motion detection security lights I have which he used for the wiring isn't suitable.

The easiest fix is to remove the existing sensor and fit new lights which incorporate sensors but to be honest I would get rid of all that wiring and rewire it because that type of wiring isn't suitable for external use.

The easiest fix is to remove the existing sensor and fit new lights which incorporate sensors but to be honest I would get rid of all that wiring and rewire it because that type of wiring isn't suitable for external use.
Even so, probably been working OK for the last twenty or thirty years, though, eh! ?

Not sure I see the point in a floodlight being above the camera floodlight, is there a reason it's been done like that?

Reply to Wired Ring Floodlight Cam - On Existing Motion Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net