Discuss wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

darrell brooke

Hope someone can help with an issue ive got im trying to put a strip light up in my kitchen and need to know what wires go where as theres 9 wires to go in 3 connectors the wires are black x2 redx4 and green and yellowx3

without a site visit,it would just be guesswork. if you have a meter then you can ID the switch wire. if not, then for the sake of a call-out fee, get an electrician in.

Hope someone can help with an issue ive got im trying to put a strip light up in my kitchen and need to know what wires go where as theres 9 wires to go in 3 connectors the wires are black x2 redx4 and green and yellowx3
Hi Darrell, it should be an easy fix for an Electrician, no to expensive, before you start trying yourself your best would be to cal a sparky, one of the forum member local to you may be able to help.

Welcome to the forum.
I would say that it can be difficult without test equipment to identify the correct wiring and professional assistance may be the best way.
If you already know which wires are which then from your description of the cores available the below diagram is a common arrangement. (In your case the brown wires would be red, the blue wires would be black, as you have the old wiring colours)
However for us it is generally not possible from a distance to be able to identify light wiring as many different methods may be used.
Do make sure everything is off before you work on anything to avoid the danger of electric shock.

Light twin brown.jpg

This is quite correct but what I don't understand is why he has three connectors with two blacks in one and four reds in another. From a distance as you quite rightly say an answer cannot be given.

This is quite correct but what I don't understand is why he has three connectors with two blacks in one and four reds in another. From a distance as you quite rightly say an answer cannot be given.

The OP doesn't say that the wires are in the connectors, he just lists the colours and numbers. Likely to be a twin red to the switch.

Whilst I can understand everyone's desire to help, this appears to be another thread by a person with whom we have no idea of practical skills, attempting diy electrical work. We do not even know if the OP can safely isolate the supply to the luminaire, or how he intends to safely terminate the fitting, and could cause problems for the rest of the installation, as we've recently seen by other threads.
I think the best advice been given thus far, is to get an electrician to do the work. IMO

Darrel, What is you level of competency when it comes to Electrical work, Can you please give up some information about your occupation and also can you provide pictures along with a detailed description of what you are fitting. What was there before the strip light, Did you not label up what you took out of the old fitting.
Without all of these points being clarified I would urge You to go no further with it and Also I would urge all members to be very careful what advice they hand out to the op without all the required information.

Reply to wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net