Discuss Wiring up garage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Part P, inspection and testing?

Insurance not paying out ..............................

Could be a very expensive "saving" the OP is trying to make.

In reality, there obviously won't be an electrician but that's up to him isn't it.
Also, the real truth is the job might well be better if an Electrician done it (you would hope so lol), but it is a lot cheaper for him as he has done it himself.

There is still a huge amount of work for sparks so don't worry about it.

The crux of it is, I am getting the feeling that we have a DIY section but it is only to tell people to get an electrician. If the members want to ban DIY advice, then let's vote for that. Get rid of the DIY section if required and lets be honest about it. Otherwise, I don't mind helping someone on here if they ask, within forum rules.

I don't think the OP will respond. He has 'Liked' @telectrix answer in Post #2 and will most prob just go with that and ignore everything else.

I know what you're saying, but he only asked about a light switch lol. Why do we have to consider his whole install and certification? Someone is gonna ask about him "exporting" something in a minute hahaha :)
Maybe he should have stuck with his 'wiring diagram', then, instead of treating us to full details...….obviously milking info, I reckon.
Don't fancy the export business these mid Brexit days, so I'm not too bothered there.;)

Out of curiosity, why an outdoor switch? Why not just put a switch inside the garage?
Are there any extraneous conductive parts in your garage?
Also, as above, any RCD protection?
Purely to keep any moisture out. They are installed inside the garage but my sockets, switch and cu are all waterproof. OTT maybe but I'd rather play it safe

Maybe he should have stuck with his 'wiring diagram', then, instead of treating us to full details...….obviously milking info, I reckon.
Don't fancy the export business these mid Brexit days, so I'm not too bothered there.;)

Haha, Yeah we can't afford to export any earth in this country, too many people and not enough room already:)

Failing any of the above you could get an Electrician to do the job properly, supply all the relevant certification etc.
Thanks for the advice Pete but if I need a 20mm hole drilling through the wall of MY house, a hole jigsawed through the ceiling of MY bathroom and a trench dug through MY garden, I'll be doing that myself thanks.

If that is the case why is everyone offering advice when we all know what is required certificate wise, and the rule of the Forum regarding offering advice to What appears to be a DIY job. Should got the job done by a professional in the first place, of course if the OP says he is an Electrician, then he should give up, or get a new career.
I didn't ask for advice. I asked if my wiring would work and if there was an easier way. You have advised me to pay for an electrician to do my donkey work though. Thanks for taking the time to reply but Ive explained that I've already done the work. You could save yourself the trouble next time.

It's to power a single phase table saw. When I had this set up in my old garage it kept tripping on start up. I changed the MCB to a type C with higher amps to account for the surge when it starts up.
So why a 20 amp now? Do you understand the difference between B & C curves?

In reality, there obviously won't be an electrician but that's up to him isn't it.
Also, the real truth is the job might well be better if an Electrician done it (you would hope so lol), but it is a lot cheaper for him as he has done it himself.

There is still a huge amount of work for sparks so don't worry about it.

The crux of it is, I am getting the feeling that we have a DIY section but it is only to tell people to get an electrician. If the members want to ban DIY advice, then let's vote for that. Get rid of the DIY section if required and lets be honest about it. Otherwise, I don't mind helping someone on here if they ask, within forum rules.
Thank you.
The simple truth is you are not going to stop people from doing DIY jobs on their own house, particularly if they are confident they understand what they are doing and work in other trades. Wiring the swa to the garage and wiring lights to a garage consumer unit couldnt have been more straightforward - 100% confident about the work I did. With the switch I was concerned that I might short the circuit if I got it wrong; without a ceiling rose I couldnt see a way of avoiding running the switched live to a neutral. This is why I asked the question to qualified trusted tradesmen rather than making a stupid mistake. Many thanks to everyone who replied and especially those who have helped.

Reply to Wiring up garage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net