Discuss Working and doing NVQ only? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Floody

-
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Quick question or 2,

Ive had an interview with a company today whod like to hire me as a mate, but work away. I told them I have enrolled in college in the night, and the interviewer has told me that if I was employed, I could scrap college and the company will put me through my NVQ.

Is this possible? Can I do my NVQ in work only without going to college? And what NVQ number is he talking about?

Cheers,

James

yes mate i belive hes right,when i went to sign up to college thats what the tutor told me that i could miss out the 2330 2/3 just do nvq lvl3.think there is an nvq lvl2 but not 100% on that.thats all jib want is your nvq lvl 3 and 17th edition and maybe your am2 depending on how old you are.personally i would snap there hands off . hope this helps

i had to do my 2330 lvl2/3 as i couldnt get a job

i agree with kellogs , doing your nvq , whilst learning onsite skills , whilst being paid is an opportunity i wouldnt turn down.
make sure you get a commiment in your contract from the employers in return for quiting college.

Thats exactly what im scared about Biff. If in a month or so they say ''your not what we are looking for'' AFTER ive cancelled the college course... Then im ballsed to say the least. What should I say to them if its offerd to me?

Yes cos one of my college mates,his firm tried to lay him off luckly he didn't sign the paperwork n it turned out they couldn't lay him off till he finished all his courses but if he signed it that would of been end of story defo ask for commitment contract see what they say . Then again if they say no I still think I would take it cos there's no jobs out there half an nvq is better than none with half the experiance to go with it.keep your nose cleen n head down till you finish it then the worlds your oyster mate

See if they offer you a one year contract in writing ( obviously subject to a 1-3 month trail period which is common practice anyway )
If they do , then go for it.
even if the job only lasts 12 months , you will still have done enough skills and practical to complete the nvq and you could still go back to college and start the 2330.
you can go to college anytime , but apprentice opportunities are rare.
if you want a JIB gold card you need the nvq3...........
:)

Yeah sounds like common sence. Dont get me wrong id love to do it, but. If i couldnt get the nvq element of it, do you still think i should ditch college and just get the experience instead? Its electrical fitting in shops, nationwide.

The nvq part isnt guranteed you see, hes finding out about it and ill know monday. I could have shook on the job today, but my arm is twisted with college at the moment so i pushed for him to find out about the nvq before i said yes. Hewas more than happy to tho. It was his idea for me to scrap college and do it with them

getting trained on commercial installations is , in my opinon , the gold standard.
you'll never get that experience working for yourself or helping a spark do domestic jobs.
if i was you , yes i'd ditch college and work towards the nvq.
but there are no guarrantees in life.
lets just say you turn the job down , go to college for 2 years and dont get a job after ? its a risk either way.
Decide quickly lol.

God its bloody awkward aye. I think im gonna go for the job. I suppise it comes down to the experience. If the NVQ is offerd to me then thats a bonus i suppose. could i do the nvq off my own back even if they dont put me through it?

The idea of the 2330 (technical certificate) is that it demonstrates 'underpinning knowledge' which is required before you do the NVQ3. In certain circumstances you can just do the NVQ3 but you have to do some kind of test to prove that beforehand.

You could always pay for it yourself mate while working for them,just don't tell them thet try n get them to pay for it,there is funding out there to help towards costs for buissness.I've done 3 years at college 2330 lvl 2 n 3 also got 17th with ammendment 1 and I'm struggling to get work.do yourself a favour skip 2330 n get that nvq . I could have 2391 but without nvq jib would still see me as an improver

Reply to Working and doing NVQ only? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net