Discuss Working in live enclosures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im sure there are many guys who've worked in live boards and enclosures ect, we've all done it to some extent. Im not inferring anyone is wrong or right. I was merely questioning the validity of doing so when we consider EAWR, namely the paragraph that Andy copied and pasted. Its a little bit of a grey area in terms of how close is close to live terminals. What we must also consider is the individual situation, i.e working in a TPN switchfuse with live incoming terminals could be very different to a domestic CU in terms of PFC PSSC ect. Also, manufactueres instructions stating boards or switches are suitable for drawing in cables whilst the board is live would be evidence of equipments suitability to do so.

I would suggest certainly some of the things on the thread that sparks have done have certainly contravened EAWR, i.e attaching mccb's onto a live busbar because the owner of the factory didnt want you to knock power off. My personal view is that there are very very few circumstances where it is unreasonable to isolate the supply hence this should be done to preserve someone's safety over inconvenience.
Industryspark that is where I have to disagree, there are not many factories that will allow you to shut down an entire place just to fit a moulded case circuit breaker.

Ha ha nut!

was that cambuslang you done your FICA? I done mine around nine years ago and there were was none of that going on. Would hedge my bets and say that no one out with the training and test centres would go to this extreme.

"Hang on lad's I'll get ma sheet oot!"
Yeah Cambuslang. Thing is they'll fail you if you don't put it up. Or at least not let you continue!!

GMES

Totally agree, there probably aren't many factories that will allow you to shut down a DB to fit a new mccb, id question whether they were being reasonable though and whether they could claim that they were within the EAWR's should anything happen.

Regards

GMES

Totally agree, there probably aren't many factories that will allow you to shut down a DB to fit a new mccb, id question whether they were being reasonable though and whether they could claim that they were within the EAWR's should anything happen.

Regards
Are you self employed or with a firm!

Wisecracks? It’s a statement of fact.

I wouldn’t employ you if you're afraid to connect in to a switch.
wisecracks ?

i only do this to people i dont like

31871-gif.jpg

357c5d31b1e5388a338741ea7fe72513.jpg

Last edited:
Fair point. Would you be happy enough carrying out a ZE on a non ip2x main switch on a mech services panel or old style db? Still a risk in my eyes
It's a sad day when electricians can't do live tests. Anything electrical carries risks, it's the job to assess, understand and manage the risks accordingly.

We work live regularly, part of the job. Competence, risk assessment and appropriate PPE are the 3 things we require.

If your suitably trained and competent I wouldn't even think twice about working in a partially live panel.

Electricity isnt something to be feared, just show it the respect it deserves.

Sad day indeed marvo. Not once did I mention that I didn't. In fact if you look back you'll see my earlier posts about working in live d.b's. I was merely (poorly?!) trying to make a point that in most not all but most times we enter a board or a panel there is a presence of live cables. As has been said correct precautions and ppe must be risk assessed to the exact standard the job requires.

Reply to Working in live enclosures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net