Discuss 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I moved into a new developer house in 2001 - I am not there now. All houses were wired in 1.5mm lighting. Until LEDs became the norm, I have never come across any new build or rewire using 1.00mm lighting cable. Not one. I am not making this up. Your experience is 100% the opposite of mine.
My house was built in 1971 my mother's in 1972 both have 1.0 lighting circuits. I have worked on multiple houses some are 1.0 some 1.5 none of this means too much.

I would say that you are giving an opinion also. Unless you have facts and statistics from across the UK with which to back it up.
I am not giving an opinion. A factual observation over decades tells me they went by rule of thumb in that they only used 1.5mm for lighting. In domestic houses few went by anything else except rule of thumb. Rule of thumbers generally oversize cables.

Talking about this to a Spark a year or so back. He said they last time he calculated anything was when running swa to the bottom of a garden to get the voltage drop.

Your
I am not giving an opinion. A factual observation over decades tells me they went by rule of thumb in that they only used 1.5mm for lighting. In domestic houses few went by anything else except rule of thumb.

Talking about this to a Spark a year or so back. He said they last time he calculated anything was when running swa to the bottom of a garden to get the voltage drop.

So your 'facts' are actually just based on houses you have seen, and a spark you were talking to. And despite what other people say, you still think that 1mm cable wasn't readily available until about 2010!

My word.

Your

So your 'facts' are actually just based on houses you have seen, and a spark you were talking to. And despite what other people say, you still think that 1mm cable wasn't readily available until about 2010!

My word.
I have seen lots of houses in my time believe me.
1.00mm T&E was not readily available over the counter. It was not a commonly sold item, so not on show.

We have to agree to disagree. It is circular.
You have seen 1.00mm T&E all over in the place in the past 30 years, while I never.
I saw most domestic Sparks use rule of thumb, while those you knew never.

I
I have seen lots of houses in my time believe me.
1.00mm T&E was not readily available over the counter. It was not a commonly sold item, so not on show.

We have to agree to disagree. It is circular.
You have seen 1.00mm T&E all over in the place in the past 30 years, while I never.
I saw most domestic Sparks use rule of thumb, while those you knew never.

I just find it hard to believe you hadn't seen it installed and hadn't seen it available readily over the counter until 2012.

If I am installing for want of better words a simple circuit I know what cable size is required and have no need for calculations this is not rule of thumb it is experience knowing if I had calculated it I would have the same result. I started work in 1981 and was using 1.0 T&E and 1.0 solid singles it was not a rare thing.

I lived and worked in London in the late 70's to the early 90's and 1mm was readily available in every wholesaler, I always preferred the white T&E for surface work. That is fact
The only times I saw it were hidden over kitchen cuboards for downlighters, hidden lights, etc, white as well. But most I saw was flex in those situations. Never saw 1.00mm grey T&E in a 1st fix. Never. I do now.

Last edited:
Very rough rule of thumb for sizing cables is that for lengths up to 50m the current carrying capacity is all you need to consider. Above 50m other considerations come into play.

Reply to 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net