Discuss 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The 2A MCB part backfired slightly, because you can get them already.

What about their E.
And 0.5mm taking 8 amps max current. :)

0.5mm cable takes a max current of 3A. Having 50 5W LEDs in house is 250 watts. That is around 1 amp. So 0.5mm will do a very big house. So not that much of a joke.
:)

Last edited:
This reminds of a few years when I saw a lighting circuit in a one bedroom flat wired with 0.5mm flex, as all lights were LED. The guy got a reel super cheap or for nothing. He used a 2A MCB. A neat job. He said to wire up lighting switch backboxes it was super easy as only thin wires, and that 0.20 mm² to 4.0 mm² is what lever Wagos take. He use these in the backboxes.

Last edited:
This reminds of a few years when I saw a lighting circuit in a one bedroom flat wired with 0.5mm flex, as all lights were LED. The guy got a reel super cheap or for nothing. He used a 2A MCB. A neat job. He said to wire up lighting switch backboxes it was super easy as only thin wires and that 0.20 mm² to 4.0 mm² of what lever Wagos take. He use these in the back boxes.

Sounds like a nightmare house for whoever has it next 😀

Sounds like a nightmare house for whoever has it next 😀
He only did the lighting circuit. It worked well and a neat job as well. I only saw the CU. It worked and was safe. He did his homework on safety, the max amps loading of the cable, etc. No way would the cable overload using LEDs and 2A MCB. I never saw any bodged DIY work in the house.

Now I'm really confused!!!

I just watched the video. It all makes perfect sense and sounds great. Then...... right at the end the guys mention April fools!!

Now I don't know what to think 😅

You think @Megawatt is reading this and going “wtf is April fools????”

A uniquely British tradition I think… although research shows it celebrated in other European countries.

Up here…. It is also known as “Hunt The Gowk”

You think @Megawatt is reading this and going “wtf is April fools????”

A uniquely British tradition I think… although research shows it celebrated in other European countries.

Up here…. It is also known as “Hunt The Gowk”
I know what the phrase April fools joke means. Y’all have an awesome weekend and I appreciate all of you. 😂

I still don't know if it's real!
I'm not known for my common sense 😁
Could someone please put me out of my misery 😖

Now I'm really confused!!!

I just watched the video. It all makes perfect sense and sounds great. Then...... right at the end the guys mention April fools!!

Now I don't know what to think 😅
They did a good job. Where did they get the 0.5mm T&E? It was obviously thinner than the 1.00mm cable.

The points is, is that 0.5mm and a 2A MCB or RCBO (which are available) would be perfectly safe using 0.5mm cable. The max current draw of 0.5mm is approx 3A. 50 LEDs consumes 150 watts. So well within safety limits.

I would not go less than 1.00mm simply because that is the lowest T&E available.

I would love to try 0.5mm T&E if it were available , think how neat you could clip it in a loft you could get 2 cables under a 1.5 clip

They did a good job. Where did they get the 0.5mm T&E? It was obviously thinner than the 1.00mm cable.

The points is, is that 0.5mm and a 2A MCB or RCBO (which are available) would be perfectly safe using 0.5mm cable. The max current draw of 0.5mm is approx 3A. 50 LEDs consumes 150 watts. So well within safety limits.

I would not go less than 1.00mm simply because that is the lowest T&E available.
Just looked like 1mm2,1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2 cables to me.

They pretended the 1mm2 was actually 0.5mm2 and the 1.5mm2 they pretended was 1.0mm2

+1 to them for an April fools idea that actually makes for interesting discussion.

One problem with a very small cable is its lack of mechanical strength. Although @John-SJW is quite right that it could be installed in an electrically safe manner, it might be too flimsy without additional mechanical protection, at which point the advantage of economy is lost.

The reduction in overall size is moot; it might not be possible to reduce the radial thickness of the insulation and sheath, for both mechanical and electrical strength reasons, in which case the overall dimensions would be only slightly smaller than that of 1.0. The volume of plastic dominates in the small sizes under consideration, unlike say 70mmsq where the copper dominates over the plastic.

Reply to 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net