Discuss 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think 0.5mm2 t &e should be marked up along its sheath ( in a noticeable way so amateurs ought to see it) with the maximum circuit breaker size as E2.

The MCB is not there to protect the plug or the socket.
It can be for sure. An added safety level.
Have a 3A mcb and a few 5A round pin lighting sockets and plugs, supplying table lamps with 0.5mm flex plugged into the 5A sockets, then the 3A mcb covers it all.

It can be for sure. An added safety level.
Have a 3A mcb and a few 5A round pin lighting sockets and plugs, supplying table lamps with 0.5mm flex plugged into the 5A sockets, then the 3A mcb covers it all.

The same thing (ie lighting connected to 5A sockets) is commonly done already with 1mm cable and 6A MCBs. The 0.5mm flex offers minimal advantage and possible disadvantages as discussed.

I had neevr seen it installed or for open over the counter sale until around 10 years ago. That does not mean it was not there.

It was certainly there.

I had neevr seen it installed or for open over the counter sale until around 10 years ago. That does not mean it was not there.
I've been using 1.0mm2 T&E for domestic lighting circuits since metrication, and have never come across 1.5 installed by anyone else in 'normal' houses. The only time I've used 1.5mm2 is in very large houses where VD, etc., come into consideration.
Local wholesalers have always had pallets of 1.0mm2 T&E on the floor, but only a few reels of 1.5 on the shelf.

When it came to lighting in domestic houses rule of thumb was paramount - 1.5mm was used with few even thinking of using anything else.
Rule of thumb is not a correct method for circuit design what is 'paramount' is correct circuit design based on many factors.

I've been using 1.0mm2 T&E for domestic lighting circuits since metrication, and have never come across 1.5 installed by anyone else in 'normal' houses. The only time I've used 1.5mm2 is in very large houses where VD, etc., come into consideration.
Local wholesalers have always had pallets of 1.0mm2 T&E on the floor, but only a few reels of 1.5 on the shelf.
I was using 1mm T&E in 1979

Rule of thumb is not a correct method for circuit design what is 'paramount' is correct circuit design based on many factors.
You are giving an opinion. The fact is that rule of thumb was the normal for domestic lighting cable sizing in using 1.5mm. Few ventured away from that size.

Most of the time lighting cable was vastly oversized.

You are giving an opinion. The fact is that rule of thumb was the normal for domestic lighting cable sizing in using 1.5mm. Few ventured away from that size.

I would say that you are giving an opinion also. Unless you have facts and statistics from across the UK with which to back it up.

It is an opinion based on fact whilst rule of thumb is based on what exactly. Using 1.5 for domestic lighting circuits is not the norm as I have already stated 1.0 has been in use for at least fifty years. What are you basing your 'opinion' on.

I moved into a new developer house in 2001 - I am not there now. All houses were wired in 1.5mm lighting. Until LEDs became the norm, I have never come across any new build or rewire using 1.00mm lighting cable. Not one. I am not making this up. Your experience is 100% the opposite of mine.

Reply to 0.5mm T&E cable now available. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock