Discuss 18th Edition - How has it changed what boards you buy? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electrical2go

-
Official Sponsor
Reaction score
We're interested in what changes you've made to become 18th edition compliant.

We want to ensure we're stocking what you need most at Electrical2Go.

So Overload and Surge Protection...

Are you buying fully populated 18th Edition boards? Or buying cheaper boards and adapting?

Cheers,

Electrical2Go HQ

Same as Peter above.

I feel the dual RCD boards are still compliant as both AFDD and SPD are not compulsory. The former is suggested, but far too expensive. The latter is not suggested for 'single dwelling units' which I take to be a domestic household which is the only electrics I do.

I think both the AFDD and SPD's are a good idea but at £200 per AFDD they are not financially viable for domestic consumer units. As for the SPD's I may look in to that over the next few months, this will depend on 3 things:
1. Cost.
2. Whether the regulation actually does mean they are not suggested for domestic households as it sounds.
3. What my scheme (Stroma) suggests when I have my next assessment.

Only fitting Hager now. Can get a fully loaded with SPD for £150 for the 16 way i believe. Quality boards.
Chris, you show me where you can get a fully loaded Hager board including SPD, RCD's and MCB's for £150 and I'll eat every hat in my house!!?

Chris, you show me where you can get a fully loaded Hager board including SPD, RCD's and MCB's for £150 and I'll eat every hat in my house!!?
I will sell you one for £149.99p, ketchup or brown sauce with the Fedora and Tabasco with the Panama?

My local eddys are doing them for around that price I think. I noticed a flyer in there and thought the price for the board with an SPD wasn't overly pricey. I may be out by £30 though as I just glanced at it..

We're interested in what changes you've made to become 18th edition compliant.

We want to ensure we're stocking what you need most at Electrical2Go.

So Overload and Surge Protection...

Are you buying fully populated 18th Edition boards? Or buying cheaper boards and adapting?

Cheers,

Electrical2Go HQ

Not made any changes and won’t be anytime soon

There is no way that I will be wasting my customers hard earned cash in the near future.

Manufacturers should not be influencing JPEL/64

At the moment I'm installation Lewden RCBO boards, they are cheaper than the leading brands & offer A and AC type RCBOs as well as SPDs (if required)
Their type 1&2 combined SPD is rather expensive though !!!

Although their is nothing wrong with split load consumer units, 531.3.2 note ii can't be easily determined.

I buy SBS compact dual pole rcbo boards, keenly priced and easy to fit, have given customers the option of fitting an SPD which adds about £30 to a board. I tend to have a price cap on rcbo's of £15 per way max. I sometimes fit the odd BG or Lewden rcbo board when I need one quickly as local suppliers sell them.

I offer clients the option of SPD or no SPD, since the 18th Edition came into force. I like to buy a main switch board (for RCBOs) with SPD already fitted by the manufacturer - saves me time connecting it up, and even the manufacturers aren't clear on how to fit their own SPDs... for example, I couldn't make sense of the Hager instructions, as they seemed to be contradictory. I phoned technical support: "Yeah, the instructions are wrong, here's how to do it...". If a board with factory-fitted SPD costs me less than £100 (incl VAT) more than the equivalent plain main switch board, then I'm happy. Usually fit Hager or Wylex.

The main change (with the 18th), though, hasn't been boards... it's been metal clips. I'd really, really welcome some competetively-priced alternatives to Linian (which are ace, just dear), the Schneider T&E clips that Screwfix sell, buckle clips (from Saren), the D-Line bend-over jobbies etc.

The main change (with the 18th), though, hasn't been boards... it's been metal clips. I'd really, really welcome some competetively-priced alternatives to Linian (which are ace, just dear), the Schneider T&E clips that Screwfix sell, buckle clips (from Saren), the D-Line bend-over jobbies etc.
I'm a bit embarrassed to say I haven't properly looked into this change Steve. Could you (or anyone) give me the reg so I can have a read? Is it just in relation to cable that's clipped onto the surface?

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I haven't properly looked into this change Steve. Could you (or anyone) give me the reg so I can have a read? Is it just in relation to cable that's clipped onto the surface?
I presume he's referring to premature collapse of wiring systems. In a sense the Regulation isn't new, although previously only escape routes were covered by this. However, escape routes weren't actually defined so many places could arguably have been escape routes.

Yes, what he said ^ :)

So previously, imagine clipping SWA in a garage, or round the outside of a house, I would have used plastic cleats for the majority of the length, complemented by all-round band above doors. Now you need to do that everywhere. All-round band doesn't look that great.* Be nice to have a metal cleat that I could use everywhere, that looks alright, that didn't cost the earth.

See also: clipping T&E in attics

* Some have suggested over-sizing the cleat and putting all-round band inside it. Bit faffy, though!

Edit: in terms of a Reg number: 521.10.202

Reply to 18th Edition - How has it changed what boards you buy? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock