Discuss 2 electric showers and melted live wire from relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jberry

-
Reaction score
This unit is running two showers. Unit was smoking while one shower was running, never tripped the safety switch. Power to one shower is cut off while the other is in use. Is it ok just to change out the relay that had burned? I'm not an electrician but one will be doing the work. The house is rented and the landlord will be arranging the repairs but I'm afraid he probably wont send someone who's registered

2 electric showers and melted live wire from relay 20190407_214550 - EletriciansForums.net

2 electric showers and melted live wire from relay 20190410_224157 - EletriciansForums.net

If you haven't tinkered with the unit, then this has happened before because one of the neutrals appears to have been moved (No. 3 on the burnt contactor is also burned).

If it's a sample of the work the electricians your landlord uses (some of the cabling will be factory fitted as I believe this is an off the shelf unit - it's not that cabling to which I'm referring) then you are justified in your concerns as I can see several non-compliances.

Looks like the whole shower circuits need to be looked at, as the neutrals near the burned relay are also damaged.
As @SparkyChick has pointed out, terminal 3 has also received damage previously.

2 electric showers and melted live wire from relay upload_2019-4-10_23-47-38 - EletriciansForums.net

What power ratings are your showers?

... Unit was smoking while one shower was running ... Is it ok just to change out the relay that had burned?
Hi JB and welcome. There has been heat damage and I'm not sure if this was due to the cables not making proper connection or whether the contactor has been overloaded. The failure cause should be established and corrected or it will likely just happen again. And the heat damaged cables should be replaced of course.

If you haven't tinkered with the unit, then this has happened before because one of the neutrals appears to have been moved (No. 3 on the burnt contactor is also burned).

If it's a sample of the work the electricians your landlord uses (some of the cabling will be factory fitted as I believe this is an off the shelf unit - it's not that cabling to which I'm referring) then you are justified in your concerns as I can see several non-compliances.

Thanks for the reply. No has never been touched by anyone, we have lived here for 5yrs. Landlord has a history of paying monkeys peanuts! He has contacted me tonight to say he is sending round a non electrician to fix, I have assured him he is not!

Hi JB and welcome. There has been heat damage and I'm not sure if this was due to the cables not making proper connection or whether the contactor has been overloaded. The failure cause should be established and corrected or it will likely just happen again. And the heat damaged cables should be replaced of course.

Thank you for the reply. I have notified the landlord Sunday gone and I'm still back and forth about having a professional diagnose and fix the problem. He's all about saving Penny's though

Looks like the whole shower circuits need to be looked at, as the neutrals near the burned relay are also damaged.
As @SparkyChick has pointed out, terminal 3 has also received damage previously.

View attachment 48760

What power ratings are your showers?

Yes I agree, there are a few wires that appear to be heat damaged. Also terminal 1 & 3 have heat damage also. When we noticed the smoke and strong smell of burning in the kitchen we had to cut power to the unit.

Should the safety cutout switch have tripped before hand? It never did!

Don't take any chances at all !
Anything that looks like it is damaged at all
Should be replaced, no if's or but's
Saving a few dollars now,will seem trivial if it burns down later on.

If this is an on going problem ?
Then you need to find out why !

The whole thing is totally wrong..
Singles coming in at the top left.
Both showers on protected by just the 1 40amp MCB & RCD?
Do you have a photo of the whole enclosure?
Be a good 1 for the wall of shame

Don't take any chances at all !
Anything that looks like it is damaged at all
Should be replaced, no if's or but's
Saving a few dollars now,will seem trivial if it burns down later on.

If this is an on going problem ?
Then you need to find out why !

I have insisted on a professional to do the work. It's a battle though.. this is day 4 since reporting the issue and still no sparky at the property

This type of ‘shower’ contractor board is generally used abroad if I’m not mistaken ?

In 20+ years of doing odd domestic wiring , I think I have only ever come across one of these once and iirc it was made in Ireland

Either way , it looks like a dogs dinner ...

Do you have any electrical safety certificates for the rented property as those would make interesting reading

This type of ‘shower’ contractor board is generally used abroad if I’m not mistaken ?

In 20+ years of doing odd domestic wiring , I think I have only ever come across one of these once and iirc it was made in Ireland

Do you have any electrical safety certificates for the rented property as those would make interesting reading

Nope no safety certificates.. do you see the wires leaving the right side box and going into the upper left of the next box? Can you see they leave the box and go out through a hole in the main wall and run along the back of the house, they then enter and go to the second shower. The first shower is upstairs, the grey cable entering from the upper right of the box on the right is feeding the upstairs shower

Nope no safety certificates.. do you see the wires leaving the right side box and going into the upper left of the next box? Can you see they leave the box and go out through a hole in the main wall and run along the back of the house, they then enter and go to the second shower. The first shower is upstairs, the grey cable entering from the upper right of the box on the right is feeding the upstairs shower

Dogs Dinner is putting it nicely Dusty, Lash up is a more apt description, a Bert job from down the local if I'm not mistaken.

If it were me I would be condemning the whole thing until a thorough eicr inspection was carried out on the entire installation.

But 99% of landlords I know won’t pay for a proper eicr to be done and will just get bodge it a scarper round to ‘fix’ the problem

Reply to 2 electric showers and melted live wire from relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock