Currently reading:
2 Way Light Switch - Old to New wiring help

Discuss 2 Way Light Switch - Old to New wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

karatekid

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All

I am trying to replace a 2 way light switch. The photo on the left is of the current light switch and the wiring. New switches look different and I don’t want to guess which wire goes where.

Wondering if you can help? I would assume that COM (left with the red wire) should go to COM1 / COM (right with the Black wire should go to COM2 / 1 WAY (Left with the black wire) should go to L11 / 1 WAY (left with the red wire) should go into L21 and 2 WAY (right with the black wire) should go into L22?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Switch_page-0001.jpg

1 way switch has the red in COM1 and the black in L11
2 way has the existing common black in COM2, red 1 way in L11 and black 2 way in L22.

Point I would note however is the red conductor on the 2 way looks to have some damage to it/the insulation. I would hazard a guess this is from being trapped when screwed back. I think it would be worth looking at making sure that, at a minimum this is suitably insulated before screwing everything back, and checking the length of the 3.5 screws to make sure they aren't pinching against the back of the box when screwed back.

Reply to 2 Way Light Switch - Old to New wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock