Discuss 2 way switching pir led in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been to fit new led pir flood. 3core +e. Perm live. Sw live. N e.
Flood is 2core. So wired it perm live set up works a treat. Customer rings up wants it on switch. After investigating switch is a 2 way.. any way of doing this so works on pir then on with switch.
It's a sealed led light 2 core.

Some if these lights have a latch circuit, you have to turn the supply off and then on again quickly and it latches on until you turn it off then on again slowly, then it reverts back to PIR mode. Maybe worth checking instructions!

If you have only a line and neutral connection to an integrated sealed LED PIR light then you cannot have a manual ON switch as the wiring cannot bypass the PIR.
You can have a manual OFF switch, as you just switch the line to the light.

If you were to open up the LED light then you might be able to rearrange the wiring so that you have a connection direct to the LED and then with only a two way switch you would have to have it that the PIR sensor was disconnected whilst it was in manual ON, which would mean restarting the sensor once the switch was operated. This often causes the PIR to come on for a while!

Last edited:
If you have only a line an neutral connection to an integrated sealed LED PIR light then you cannot have a manual ON switch as the wiring cannot bypass the PIR.
You can have a manual OFF switch as you just switch the line to the light.

If you were to open up the LED light then you light be able to rearrange the wiring so that you have a connection direct to the LED and then with only a two way switch you would have to have it that the PIR sensor was disconnected whilst it was in manual on, which would mean restarting the sensor once the switch was operated. This often causes the PIR to come on for a while!
That was my thinking but don't want to open light up. Must have been a old halogen light that was fitted with perm live and sw live terminal or cut into pir / lamp circuit

Would my suggestion not work? So when the switch is on it feeds what would be the switched live of the PIR therefore powering the fitting? When the switch is off the PIR would work as normal?
If there were access to the switched line on the light fitting then it would work though with a 2 way switch the power to the PIR sensor would be switched off when the light is on manual.
PIR light with 2 way switch.jpg
However in this case there is no access to switched line to the light only permanent line to the PIR sensor.

Reply to 2 way switching pir led in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net