Discuss 2x 3kW Heating Elements Run in Same Room = Power Out? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimjim2991

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum here, and the following question is probably going to seem trivial to you, but hopefully you'll be able to help me.

I use a 3kW Heating Element for a unique application. Basically, I use it to heat up a tank of 10L of water to 70C. Recently I made a second tank, bought a second 3kW Heating Element and ran them both at the same time, in the same room, from separate sockets. Then... the power went out! I don't know why this is happening or what the way around this is. Can anyone help me with this?

Many Thanks,

James

Have you ever thought that you could be overloading the circuit for these sockets?

what he said ^^^^^. run them 1 at a time .

Brewing beer?

Both sockets on same circuit then...
2 x 3kw heaters = 26 amps.
If breaker is 16 or 20 amps will definitely blow.
If 32 amp breaker it will be close and if anything else is running then chances are it will also blow.

Each heater should have its own dedicated 16 amp circuit just like the immersion you might have in a hot water tank for domestic water supply.

Brewing beer?

Both sockets on same circuit then...
2 x 3kw heaters = 26 amps.
If breaker is 16 or 20 amps will definitely blow.
If 32 amp breaker it will be close and if anything else is running then chances are it will also blow.

Each heater should have its own dedicated 16 amp circuit just like the immersion you might have in a hot water tank for domestic water supply.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Okay, if each heater needs its own 16 amp circuit, how do I go about doing that? I'm not an electrician and honestly have no idea where to start? I'm doing this from home.

I have been thinking about changing to some 1kW heating elements also, so that would solve the problem too I guess? Only thing is I'm not sure if 1kW heating elements will get the water hot enough? It's okay if it takes a bit longer to get to 70-80C, but it NEEDS to get there.

Thanks for your assistance so far guys!

1kW elements will do the job, but take longer. about 3 x as long. do you want the temperature to be maintained? if so, you'll need thermostats.

1kW elements will do the job, but take longer. about 3 x as long. do you want the temperature to be maintained? if so, you'll need thermostats.

He might as well just use the one 3KW element lol.

do you want the temperature to be maintained? if so, you'll need thermostats.

Yes. Sometimes the tank will need to maintain a temperature of 70C for several hours.

When I was first looking for a 3kW heating element that could get to 70-80C I had to send the first 2 I ordered back. I was told they could get 10L of water to 70-80C but they didn't. 50-60C only. The third one I got finally got to the right temperature. Why was this? Were there some kind of cut-off installed in the first two? I want to avoid this happening again. When I order my 1kW heating element I want to know that when I get it running and turn up to maximum it will go higher than 50-60C.

Back to running 2x 3kW heating elements... Let's say I wanted to stick with the 3kWs because they heat up the water quicker and that's more convenient, how do I do it?

you get an electrician to come and install dedicated circuits for them.

you get an electrician to come and install dedicated circuits for them.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the 1kWs then. How do I ensure the ones I order will heat 10L of water in the tank I have to 70-80C and maintain it? As I mentioned I have been disappointed in the past.

you need heaters with thermostats that go to >80deg.C.

Just run a lead out from a socket thats on a different circuit for the second heater!

by switching MCB off to the circuit you have been using, then seeing which sockets still work.

An easier solution might be to buy a couple of catering tea urns. They will heat to 80 deg plus and some will have a keep warm facility. Most have less than 2kw heaters and can hold upto 15l. Plus you have not got to fabricate anything and will be much safer. Mind is bogling at what you are doing... nothing illegal I hope.

what's a greek urn?

about ÂŁ60 a week.

Reply to 2x 3kW Heating Elements Run in Same Room = Power Out? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net