Discuss 3 Phase & RCBO Questions in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkzo

This is my first post so a big thankyou to the founders of the forum...

Just a question on 3 phase MCB's.... When installing a new piece of equipment is their a cut off current where RCD circuits are used... upto 40A for instance...?

I was asked to move a 3 phase socket from one position and onto a different board.
That's easy enough to do but was wondering then as I'm effectively doing a new installation should I change the standard three phase socket to a RCD protected socket / or change the MCB to a 3 phase RCBO ...

Obviously a RCD socket would then cost an extra £200... and the delivery time.... Even though where it was before was fine/ acceptable .... but if tested would probably have a recommendation....

So What to do ?

Thanks In Advance

depends on what the socket is used for. if it is used solely bysupervised/ trained personnel, then no rcd protection is required. if. say it is used by mrs. mopp who comes and cleans at night, the rcd is recommende ( in your case i can't see the hoover being 3 phase, LOL)

3 phase sockets are usually used only by skilled personnel.

What is the socket used for should be asked as well could it be used for a 3 phase jet washer or a potential it may be used for outdoor equipment if so I would put it on an RCD.

Last edited:
What is the socket used for should be asked as well could it be used for a 3 phase jet washer or a potential it may be used for outdoor equipment if so I would put it on an RCD.
agreed. i did make the point in my first post " depends what the socket is used for"

Thanks for your replies guys, good to know things are safe. Seeing three phase rcbo's on the market got me questioning myself.

Reply to 3 Phase & RCBO Questions in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net