Search the forum,

Discuss 3 X single phase showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If, you’ve stopped posting for a bit, I’ll try to explain.
25mm2 is over sized for 100A to allow for imbalances.
The outgoing circuits from the 3 phase board may all be single phase, 3phase or a mixture of both.
The conductors for each outgoing circuit should be sized appropriately.
When the neutral current from phase L1 gets back to the board, it can now use the L2 neutral conductor to flow to the L2 phase, and the neutral current from the L2 phase can use the L3 neutral conductor to flow to the L3 phase, etc.

So once the neutral currents get back to a single point, they can then start to balance themselves out.

In the OP’s situation, there is a very good chance that the 3 showers will not be used at the same time.
However there is a chance that 2 will be used at the same time.
If only 1 or 2 are used, the neutral currents will not be able to balance out.
If all 3 are used at the same time, they will balance out.
As such you need to size the neutral conductor to handle up to 2 lots of current.

Picking up the big hint from @westward10 - I had a go at a phasor diagram. If phase 1 shower is on, I get 30A (say) on the distribution circuit N. If phase 1,2 and 3 showers are all on then I get 0A on N, as they all cancel out. No big surprise as it's a balanced 3 phase load at that point. So what about when 2 showers are on? Hint - I was wrong before in #14 - it's my brain that's been flogged :) .

Reply to 3 X single phase showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock