Discuss 3kW Immersion Heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's quite alright Tel the OP is a DIY er so ever so doubtful that he has an insulation tester or a continuity tester or the technical where with all to carry out the tests you so rightly suggest he gets done, mind you I may be wrong the OP may be a technical wizard.

I'm finding it hard to extract the useful help from these replies. I'm not sure what is joking around.

i suppose it's a bit too much to ask of a neon screwdriver then?
The OP is described as a Scientist. so you never know, most Scientists I have met always have pens and the like stuffed into the top pocket of their Lab Coats. No disrespect OP just funing with you, hope you get your heating problems sorted.

I'm finding it hard to extract the useful help from these replies. I'm not sure what is joking around.
you'll always get some banter on a forum. seriously though, if you think it's not the thermostat, then the element is an obvious suspect. maybe it's furred up with calcium chloride( from "hard" water) and needs a clean or replace.

furred-up-heater-element-CFB3YE.jpg

you'll always get some banter on a forum. seriously though, if you think it's not the thermostat, then the element is an obvious suspect. maybe it's furred up with calcium chloride( from "hard" water) and needs a clean or replace.

furred-up-heater-element-CFB3YE.jpg

Yeah, I know! It's just that, as a complete newbie, it's hard to navigate the jungle of banter sometimes lol

The element looks in pretty good condition. It's still shiny and blue like it was when I first got it.

I actually use the tank to test different cleaning chemicals and they've helped to keep it in good condition.

I think the advice given has been very helpful, as Tel says the element could be furred up, it's a logical step to replace the heater, advice would be to get a larger Wattage one to avoid over working, it's like having a boiler in your house that's not large enough for the job it would hardly ever switch off and eventually pack up out of exhaustion, hence my suggestion in the previous post, as for the joking around, it's a fun thing there is no malice in it or intended, you will find there are guys who will poo poo someone who is not an Electrician, and can become quite outspoken, most of the guys who have contributed to this post are in no way like that, an example of what I mean is Tel's reply to do an IR test, you may have got a response along the lines "he's a DIYer what does he know about insulation testing" but you didn't you got constructive advice.

ok, a tip.....there's a few comedians on here. usually, you can tell by the content of the post, or by reading some earlier posts by the guilty few. here's a clue.

showing----.gif

Not sure if this has been mentioned OP, but you'll find most modern thermostats have a maximum setting of 60'c. That's to stop Nigella Lawson forming and Mrs Miggins being scolded in the bath. Here's your thermostat I believe;

RDT resettable thermostats - Easy Fit thermostats - https://www.heatraesadia.com/products/cylinders-and-hot-water/immersion-heaters-and-thermostats/thermostats.htm

Some thermostats are even pre-set at 60'c, i.e. not adjustable, to stop people messing around with them, and the above happening.

The popping noise, that sometimes common with air bubbles forming in the top of the tank from the heating element, dependant on its mounting position.

Not sure if this has been mentioned OP, but you'll find most modern thermostats have a maximum setting of 60'c. That's to stop Nigella Lawson forming and Mrs Miggins being scolded in the bath. Here's your thermostat I believe;

RDT resettable thermostats - Easy Fit thermostats - https://www.heatraesadia.com/products/cylinders-and-hot-water/immersion-heaters-and-thermostats/thermostats.htm

Some thermostats are even pre-set at 60'c, i.e. not adjustable, to stop people messing around with them, and the above happening.

The popping noise, that sometimes common with air bubbles forming in the top of the tank from the heating element, dependant on its mounting position.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I discovered that the maximum setting was a thing, went back to CEF and asked for one with no maximum, and they said they could supply one with 80C max setting. As you can see it has 80C printed on the side; thermostat1 — Postimage.org - https://postimg.org/image/m16zv8njl/

Unfortunately it still did not reach that temperature.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I discovered that the maximum setting was a thing, went back to CEF and asked for one with no maximum, and they said they could supply one with 80C max setting. As you can see it has 80C printed on the side; thermostat1 — Postimage.org - https://postimg.org/image/m16zv8njl/

Unfortunately it still did not reach that temperature.

Have a check of that, their web site suggests it's set to a max of 60'c, couldn't see anything else? Is the 80'c for the safety cut-out?

daptable boxes with din rail

Problem solved then

Not really. As mentioned multiple times before, when the old thermostat is in although it reaches the required temperature, it makes a popping noise which really doesn't sound too good. So, change thermostat. Now the popping noise is gone, heater still 'works' but it does not reach the required temperature.

So clearly, the heater has the potential to reach the required temperature, but for some reason with one thermostat it makes it, but with another it does not.

Have a check of that, their web site suggests it's set to a max of 60'c, couldn't see anything else? Is the 80'c for the safety cut-out?

I don't know. I went into CEF and said 'this thermostat doesn't heat the water up to the temperature I need it to', so they gave me this other thermostat that apparently would allow the water to go up to 80C. It doesn't.

soz. pete. dunno where that link gotinto it. i bame that dr.altzeimer. we never used to have dementia till he came along spouting his theories.

so. OP has a thermostat thap goes pop. obviously not genuine kellogs as it should go snap, crackle first.

soz. pete. dunno where that link gotinto it. i bame that dr.altzeimer. we never used to have dementia till he came along spouting his theories.
I'm off to the cancer Docs tomoz for a check up, He's a Proff so should know his stuff, seriously a very nice Man.

Reply to 3kW Immersion Heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net