Discuss 4mm 32a Radial In Trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Changed a CU today and noticed the kitchen sockets were wired in 4mm t&e surface mounted in trunking and on a 32A breaker. Now, the CCC for this is strictly only 30A (ref.method B). Would anyone be overly bothered about this? Common sense tells me that it is unlikely this cable will be asked to carry these sort of loads, and any loads will be intermittent as the sockets are counter-top general use sockets, i.e. no heavy fixed loads.

It is a situation I would be prepared to leave in place if there are no signs of damage (although in a kitchen it is probably a bit close).
Any over current would need to be between 30 and 32A on a constant basis to be a problem.
However I would not design a circuit like this.
I think the limitations on 32A socket radials in terms of the CCC of 4mm² are often overlooked and it is seen as a standard and easy circuit to install.

It is a situation I would be prepared to leave in place if there are no signs of damage (although in a kitchen it is probably a bit close).
Any over current would need to be between 30 and 32A on a constant basis to be a problem.
However I would not design a circuit like this.
I think the limitations on 32A socket radials in terms of the CCC of 4mm² are often overlooked and it is seen as a standard and easy circuit to install.
I totally agree. I often find sparks stating 4mm radials on a 32 OCPD are the best thing since sliced bread but as you say the limitations are often over looked and they don't want to hear it when you point them out.

True, I certainly wouldn't install it like this either. But as its already there, I didn't flag it as an issue with the homeowners. There were several other more pressing issues, like downlights covered in insulation and running 50w halogens!

Changed a CU today and noticed the kitchen sockets were wired in 4mm t&e surface mounted in trunking and on a 32A breaker. Now, the CCC for this is strictly only 30A (ref.method B). Would anyone be overly bothered about this? Common sense tells me that it is unlikely this cable will be asked to carry these sort of loads, and any loads will be intermittent as the sockets are counter-top general use sockets, i.e. no heavy fixed loads.
I would be bothered about it yes.

Reply to 4mm 32a Radial In Trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net