Discuss A bit of fun, guess the quote in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So on Monday my wife had a builder / plumber round to quote for ripping out our toilet / sink unit (it’s old and falling apart) and to pull up the old Lino floor, then to fit a new dual unit (we supply everything) and put down some new laminate floor (we supply Everything)

effectively its a Labour only quote + maybe a few plumbing fittings etc

Guess how much they justv quoted her via text ? ? ? (Price includes rubbish removal)

I'm quite disappointed...from the thread title i thought this was going to be a "guess who said that?" game...as in "opinions are like a**holes...everybody got one" , who said that?

anyway, where has this obsession come from, the requirement to "rip out" everything?
When someone says to me "I'm gonna rip out that bathroom/kitchen/whatever" I always advocate removing it carefully so as to cause least damage to fabric of building and operatives. Yes, it may take a little more time, and no be so "macho" but it is less stressful all round, and the haste is often "rewarded" by collateral damage that requires further remedial action which is time-consuming and expensive.
One day, I may bore you with the story of the guy who ripped out a heating system while simultaeneously trying to rip-off the previous proprietor of the property...but you'll have to say "pretty please" first!

It's lot of money for a day and a bit of bread and butter donkey work.

It's lot of money for a day and a bit of bread and butter donkey work.

when I spoke to him on the phone to get him to pop round he did mention his hourly rate was £175 + vat , which probably explains the grand for a days work.

(we are going to get a second plumber round to quote next week)

Free quotes might get you to look at it and advise, then they run to next guy with more info of what they need.

All for retainer.

I guess it’s like me quoting £1150 to swap out a fuse board the customer just picked up from tool station
Yes, exactly that.

And there are probably many reasons why you'd give that quote - maybe you'd spotted the customer's Rolls Royce and Bentley in the driveway so thought they'd be happy to pay over the odds for a quality install, or perhaps, after a site visit, you knew the job wasn't for you so you bunged in a crazy quote that you'd put no work in to. If the customer accepts it, you're quids in.

I'm sure there's some irony here, somewhere.

Yes, exactly that.

And there are probably many reasons why you'd give that quote - maybe you'd spotted the customer's Rolls Royce and Bentley in the driveway so thought they'd be happy to pay over the odds for a quality install, or perhaps, after a site visit, you knew the job wasn't for you so you bunged in a crazy quote that you'd put no work in to. If the customer accepts it, you're quids in.

I'm sure there's some irony here, somewhere.
Ive never ever priced on postcode .

I personally price every single job using exactly the same hourly rate regardless if you live in a 7 bed mansion or 2 bed flat.
my hourly rate is transparent and clear on every quote I do.

I don’t charge extra for call out and I don’t charge for quotes.

just a fixed hourly rate

Ive never ever priced on postcode .

I personally price every single job using exactly the same hourly rate regardless if you live in a 7 bed mansion or 2 bed flat.
my hourly rate is transparent and clear on every quote I do.

I don’t charge extra for call out and I don’t charge for quotes.

just a fixed hourly rate
The implication being that you've both quoted high for jobs you don't want ?

If the guy gave his hourly rate over the phone as over £200, unless he's a Brain Surgeon about to save your life, hang up!

Reply to A bit of fun, guess the quote in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock