Discuss A Rather Obvious Forged EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know for a fact that the attached EICR is a forgery. I suspected as much even before I had been given a copy of the report.

My suspicions were confirmed the moment I noticed that the tester had entered 25 years as the estimated age of the installation. The installation is in fact, brand-new! The wiring was completed in July. The installation is within a newly-constructed, custom-built MOT testing station.

There is a story to be told about the events that took place prior to the EICR being issued which I will reveal in a later post. In the meantime, see how many irregularities you can find within this EICR.

I have redacted the report to spare any embarrassment for the company whose identity was stolen.

Attachments

• Elect Certs-1(2).pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 365
25 years , brand new

What’s the difference, it’s all lectric wiring ain’t it

How do you know it has been forged?
Have you spoken to TES electrical to find out whether they created the report or not?

There's some obvious mistakes in the way it has been filled in, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has been forged.

His name is visible on Page 7 mate.

Oops .....so it is. Ah well. I've made a pig's ear of the redact, but not as much as the tester did of this forgery.

Last edited:
How do you know it has been forged?
Because I have smoking-gun proof.
Have you spoken to TES electrical to find out whether they created the report or not?
I haven't, no, but the person who ordered the report has. That is how I know for certain that the report was forged.
There's some obvious mistakes in the way it has been filled in, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has been forged.
In this particular case it most certainly does.

Because I have smoking-gun proof.

I haven't, no, but the person who ordered the report has. That is how I know for certain that the report was forged.

In this particular case it most certainly does.

Ah so they have confirmed that someone else has put their company details on the report without their knowledge? This seems very weird and I can't see why they would do it.
Are TES going to pursue the forgers?

Ah so they have confirmed that someone else has put their company details on the report without their knowledge?
Yes.
This seems very weird and I can't see why they would do it.

You will after you've digested the back story! Here goes ....

The client hired a builder to construct a purpose-built industrial unit by way of a turnkey project arrangement. The builder selected the electrician. The electrician proves himself to be unreliable and goes AWOL on several occasions. It turns out that the erratic electrician has a serious addiction to Colombian marching powder. The client experiences numerous delays due as a consequence. To add to the client's woes, Building Control have been on site on several occasions and are not happy with several aspects of the project. Further delays ensue.

The Client was planning to move in to the premises back in February, but as of yet is still unable to do so due to Building Control refusing to sign-off on the building warrant because of issues with the certification of the electrical installation. This is the point where things become interesting.

Up here in Scotland, there are three ways of signing-off electrical work that is subject to a building warrant:

1. By using a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier. The certifier must be a member of SELECT or NICEIC. In this instance, when a building warrant is applied for and the applicant states that they are going to use an approved certifier of construction, the certifier simply downloads a certificate of construction from the Scottish Buildings Standards website, completes it and sends it back to SBS. LA Building Control check the validity of the certificate and sign-off on the work.

2. When the applicant is not using a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier, building standards will ask for a Minor Works Certificate or an EIC, or even an EICR that has been completed by a SELECT or an NICEIC member.

3. The third option is Reasonable Enquiry. This is the only option available when the person who carried-out the work is not a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier or a member of SELECT or NICEIC. A copy of the electrician's SJIB grade card must be submitted along with a Minor Works Certificate or an EIC and a copy of the calibration certificate for the test equipment used.

As it happens, the electrician who did the wiring is not registered with SELECT or NICEIC nor does he possess a current SJIB grading card. He therefore cannot sign-off on his work. It is at this point when the client, who is now pulling his hair out and is understandably feeling very stressed, contacts me for advice. I advise him accordingly. The client issues the builder with an ultimatum and demands that certification is provided no later than the end of July otherwise he will withhold final payment. The builder gets back to the client a few days later and promises that he will have the job signed-off before the deadline. The builder then gets the original electrician back on site. He brings with him a pal who is subsequently discovered to be a former employee of the company whose name appears on the EICR. An EICR is produced and given to the builder who then passes the report to the client. The client sends the report over to me for analysis.

I had serious misgivings about this report even before I had looked at it. My first impressions were that it was a forgery. It appeared to have been scanned then saved as a PDF file. My suspicions were heightened when I noticed that the age of this brand-new installation was stated to be 25 years. I was somewhat alarmed to note that although the stated PFC is given as 11.5 kA, the MCBs are listed as having a breaking capacity of 6kA. I wouldn't like to be standing in the vicinity of any of those breakers should they ever rupture. Since the installation is quite literally right next door to a sub-station, the stated earth loop impedance of 0.02 ohms will almost certainly be correct.

Then there is the issue of no RCD protection for any of the sockets in the main part of the premises. Although the boxes for RCD test button functionality have been ticked, no trip times have been recorded. It is therefore highly unlikely that RCD protection is present. Regulation 411.3.3 permits the omission of RCD protection in non-domestic premises so long as a documented risk assessment has been carried-out to determine that RCD protection is unnecessary. No risk assessment has been carried-out.

Having discussed these issues with client, he decided to contact the company whose name appears on the report. The company confirmed that the serial number listed on the report relates to a different job! They also confirmed that the tester whose name appears on the report is no longer employed there. One need not be a seasoned detective to figure-out what has happened here.

The client has leant on the builder and threatened to withhold final payment. The builder has in turn most likely leant on the electrician who did the work and told him he isn't getting paid until the job is certified. Unable to sign-off himself, the desperate electrician enlists the help of a pal who uses an existing EICR that was carried-out by his former employer and forges the report, erasing the original data and substituting it with data for the new installation. One has to wonder if the entire schedule of tests has been fabricated.

My understanding is that Building Control will accept an EICR from a SELECT or NICEIC member. I will therefore be carrying-out a very thorough EICR. No stone will be left unturned. I've agreed a deal with the client and he is happy to pay me on a time and materials basis. If the photo he sent me is indicative of the overall condition of this brand-new installation, then I dread to think what other defects I will uncover.

A Rather Obvious Forged EICR 20190715_113045 - EletriciansForums.net
Are TES going to pursue the forgers?

I don't know. I sure hope so. I have advised the client to take the matter up with Trading Standards regardless. The charlatans and rogue electricians who bring our trade into disrepute need to be identified and held to account for their actions.

Interesting scenario and thanks for detailing on the forum.

Having just gone through the process of dealing with trying to report someone that has done dangerous work I can only wish you good luck. NICEIC and SELECT were useless. Even went to the MSP. The NICEIC might get off their arses if they think their logo has been used otherwise don't hold your breath

Looks like a stone bonker fraud or attempted fraud. Don’t think the 2006 Fraud Act applies in Scotland with you guys dealing with a lot of stuff under Common Law which covers most things fraudulent. I hope the builder is going to see the client right and the dodgy spark has carefully hidden his stash! Pigs might fly though given the current state of law enforcement.

Are those terminals showing signs of "Mutilation"
by a very Peed off electrician ?
Or just some one who has a Wood butchers screwdriver kit !

This is what wood butchering looks like.

Quite why anyone would drill this size of hole for a 1.5 mm twin and earth mystifies me. The imbecile who did this has made no attempt to seal the hole. Remember, this is a brand-new installation that someone has done an EICR on and rated as being 'satisfactory'.

A Rather Obvious Forged EICR IMG_20190807_090807 - EletriciansForums.net

This is a one of five glands that were found to be loose inside and out. The top of the gland was barely hand-tight, and as is evidenced by the photo, the bottom half wasn't fully inserted in the entry hole.

A Rather Obvious Forged EICR 20190807_095115 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to A Rather Obvious Forged EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock