• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss ABS and Brake Light on after battery change in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I drive a 1999 Toyota Corolla.

I bought a new battery 2 weeks ago which was flat this morning. The battery warning light came on on my way home from work last night.

I jump started it and took it to the place I bought the battery.

They changed the battery I had bought for a new one that fitted the battery bay better and the guy said he would make sure it was secure as it could have worked its way loose and thats why it ran flat.

Anyway I was there for over an hour because the ABS light and brake light both came on when he put the new battery in.

He said if I drove it for a few miles they would disappear.

I drove it the long way home, about 10 miles on the Motorway but I still have an issue.

When I first start the engine both lights disappear as normal but come back on if I rev the car above 1200 rpm.

As a layman Im thinking if a lose battery terminal has come off then the alternator was powering my car last night it could have fried my ABS or blown the fuse or something. But before they changed the battery today there were no warning lights.

He said it was fine to drive but if it carries on it would be an MOT failure.
I have since been reading online that if brake and ABS light is on its an emergency and the car should not be driven!!

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what the problem might be and advise whether I am still ok to drive the thing?

Hi - sorry to hear about your troubles. The warning light means it’s likely the ABS won’t work if you needed it. I’d start by checking all the fuses, as an important one could be blown from the battery changes.

Hi - sorry to hear about your troubles. The warning light means it’s likely the ABS won’t work if you needed it. I’d start by checking all the fuses, as an important one could be blown from the battery changes.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. How do I check the big 50 amp fuse for the ABS it looks like it is encased in large plastic housing. I can see into the fuse and the copper wire looks in tact.

If I buy a test light how do I test this kind of fuse?

Few things, did the battery guy check the alternator output as to get the battery light come whilst driving is nearly always alternator failure so this battery could go the same way as the old one.
If all OK, cannot answer the ABS lights except you can try a local garage to see if they will clear the abs controller alarm and see if it returns.
As above its possible you have no ABS, so drive appropriately :)

Hi,

Yes he checked the alternator and confirmed 14v at the battery post so it was charging correctly. I did tighten it up before I jump started it this morning.

That is what is making me think his assessment of the battery cable coming loose whilst i was driving could be correct.

I have read if the battery is disconnected whilst driving it can fry some components as the alternator spikes can damage the equipment.

I'm wondering what electrical components my brakes rely on for it to cause this fault or if it could have blown the fuse for the ABS. The brakes are working so not sure why the red exclamation is showing as well as abs light.

As above check the fluid level. If the light is red that is a danger sign and the car should be off the road till the problem is fixed . ABS fault usually brings up an amber warning lamp .

your handbook should explain the meaning for each symbol on the dash. Not sure about 1999 corolla but the ABS controller is a stand alone computer designed to operate the brakes on and off.
Modern ABS systems control many additional systems like
Traction control, stability control, speedo, fuel gauge / trip computer,
Hill start and probably some more i have forgotten, lol.
Hopefully your car does not have the additional systems and as such just the brakes are affected.
Simplest way to test ABS is to find a nice piece of road, preferably wet, and do an emergency stop like you would when taking you test.
You should feel a pulsing of the brake pedal , this is the ABS system controlling the pedal pressure to stop the wheels locking. If you hear a load of screeching and blue smoke appearing from the wheels, the ABS is not working, hope this helps

your handbook should explain the meaning for each symbol on the dash. Not sure about 1999 corolla but the ABS controller is a stand alone computer designed to operate the brakes on and off.
Modern ABS systems control many additional systems like
Traction control, stability control, speedo, fuel gauge / trip computer,
Hill start and probably some more i have forgotten, lol.
Hopefully your car does not have the additional systems and as such just the brakes are affected.
Simplest way to test ABS is to find a nice piece of road, preferably wet, and do an emergency stop like you would when taking you test.
You should feel a pulsing of the brake pedal , this is the ABS system controlling the pedal pressure to stop the wheels locking. If you hear a load of screeching and blue smoke appearing from the wheels, the ABS is not working, hope this helps

When an ABS warning light is on the ABS will NOT work.
I get that you were trying to help but advsing to test the ABS out the way you have could have ended up in the OP having an accident.
Not trying to annoy anyone here, just thought I would offer some advise :wink:

Reply to ABS and Brake Light on after battery change in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back