Discuss Adding batteries to existing solar panel installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bkelly

DIY
Reaction score
I am working with an licensed electrician but might need to find one with more experience. I understand electronics extremely well but again, am using a licensed electrician.
Our house has 10 solar panels. A small inverter is mounted beneath each panel. All ten inverters are wired together, through a solar panel breaker with production meter, then into the main breaker.
We are changing the breaker panel for a larger one.

The question:
Where can we find information about how the solar panels should be wired to add a battery system?

Additional notes: This will mean some type of switch to isolate our house from the grid when the grid goes down.
Thinking of that switch, It does not look like there is a switch now to isolate our power from the grid when the grid is down. I "presume" that if the grid is not providing the 60 Hz power in then the inverters automatically turn off. Is that correct.

At some time in the future I will add a wind generator to the mix, and eventually shift to an electric car.

I am working with an licensed electrician but might need to find one with more experience. I understand electronics extremely well but again, am using a licensed electrician.
Our house has 10 solar panels. A small inverter is mounted beneath each panel. All ten inverters are wired together, through a solar panel breaker with production meter, then into the main breaker.

The question:
Where can we find information about how the solar panels should be wired to add a battery system?

Additional notes: This will mean some type of switch to isolate our house from the grid when the grid goes down.
Thinking of that switch, It does not look like there is a switch now to isolate our power from the grid when the grid is down. I "presume" that if the grid is not providing the 60 Hz power in then the inverters automatically turn off. Is that correct.

At some time in the future I will add a wind generator to the mix, and eventually shift to an electric car.
@bkelly welcome to the forum unfortunately I can’t help but we have a forum just for solar power and someone will help you with your questions there

I thought I was posting to such a forum. I did not see any forum that specifically mentioned batteries. Please advise me of the name of the preferred forum. Or maybe include a link to the top level of the forum or to an arbitrary thread within that forum.

I thought I was posting to such a forum. I did not see any forum that specifically mentioned batteries. Please advise me of the name of the preferred forum. Or maybe include a link to the top level of the forum or to an arbitrary thread within that forum.
I emailed the moderator to relocate your question to the solar power link in this forum. When you sign in there will be 3 bars in the top left corner touch that and scroll down till you get to the solar power forum. I’m going to try the moderator to relocate this question there

The question:

Bkelly I’m being told you are in the solar forum now so someone should be along shortly. I’m sorry for the mix up I’m in the electrical forum. I really don’t know enough about solar power to advise you sorry and good luck

Reply to Adding batteries to existing solar panel installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock