Discuss Adding house extension(kitchen)& renovation - any tips? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Prizen

Hello all
1st post here. Just bought a house which is to be extended, and renovated. Based in Ireland, and unfortunately have no friends or family with expertise in this area.
I have uploaded the house plan. The extension to the rear is a kitchen, and we will make no major alterations to the existing structure, only tidy up. We will however install two new showers, one upstairs and one downstairs.
I have also attached a quote which we have been provided with, in € I’m afraid.
Any tips on what I should be looking out for or questions to ask about the quote? Should I be looking to install other equipment now to future proof the home? For example, LED lights controlled via wifi etc?
Any comments at all are welcome
Cheers!

House drawing.JPG

Quote  -electrics.JPG

Quote  -electrics.JPG

I'm not based in Eire or is it Ireland? but those prices look rather keen - do you have VAT to add?

No comment about fuseboard/ upgrade / replace / bonding

Only 1 TV point?

I would run CAT 5 or 6 around, especially to anywhere you may want TV's and fixed computers....

I'm not based in Eire or is it Ireland? but those prices look rather keen - do you have VAT to add?

No comment about fuseboard/ upgrade / replace / bonding

Only 1 TV point?

I would run CAT 5 or 6 around, especially to anywhere you may want TV's and fixed computers....

Great, thanks! Yes, Eire. I will check about the fuseboard as the house is 20 years old. Great point on the CAT 6 cable. VAT to be added on top of that, it is 13.5% here.

Those prices still look low IMHO even with your VAT to add!

a few more thoughts:

Outside lights/sockets
Circuits for garage or shed or garden office?
dedicated non RCD protected circuit for the freezer?

Also depends on how grumpy you are and if you have kids.....
You could always have each bedroom on it's own breaker. Then when one of your kids will not get off their comp or has their music too loud you just switch that breaker off.
I'm a good dad really... :)

You might have an issue with two showers running at once, with regard to the load, although there is a work around for this I believe. Personally, I hate electric showers. You have to run around under them in the winter, just to get wet. Do you not have another heat source for your hot water?

Ooops, just seen the work around has been included for the priority shower. My thoughts still stand about electric showers though.

You might have an issue with two showers running at once, with regard to the load, although there is a work around for this I believe. Personally, I hate electric showers. You have to run around under them in the winter, just to get wet. Do you not have another heat source for your hot water?

Ooops, just seen the work around has been included for the priority shower. My thoughts still stand about electric showers though.
I think your comment regarding electric showers is a bit ridiculous. Mine works fine, do you want something akin to Niagra falls? You have to consider the environmental costs, there will actually be others who need to use this earth after us.....

I think your comment regarding electric showers is a bit ridiculous. Mine works fine, do you want something akin to Niagra falls? You have to consider the environmental costs, there will actually be others who need to use this earth after us.....
Which bit, two showers at once, or one - pants electric shower?

Thanks for all the replies! Was thinking of installing these new Philips LEDs that are controlled by WiFi. Anybody got experience with these?

On second thoughts on the CAT 5 cable, would I be better off just using WiFi?

Outside lights, external socket, under cabinet lighting, plinth heaters, plinth lighting, smart heating controls. The roof windows are they Velux? If velux electric blinds, electrical supplies for operation of windows unless you opt for integra solar ones.

Thanks for all the replies! Was thinking of installing these new Philips LEDs that are controlled by WiFi. Anybody got experience with these?

Fitted them before as said previously they are expensive . there is no need for any additional wiring for them to work . option to program lighting themes from your phone . they are a GU10 fitting but are deeper than a normal GU10 lamp so be careful they won't fit every GU10 fitting .

Normally install my above worktop sockets at 1100 bottom of box . 1050 looks too low IMHO

I have two showers that run off a megger flow with no probs at at all so as above would not go for full on electric. Are you having plumbing updated?

Thanks again very much to all. So, if not electric showers, then pump boosted from the cylinder? Ok during winter, but during the summer when no stove or heating turned on, dont we need to turn on the immersion? Does this work out more expensive? I agree with the electric shower comments in general, but aren't they convenient for instant heat?

Talking to plumbers also, yes. On the plumbing front - we are having a new hot water cylinder dual coil, new oil burner, new stove with back boiler, new rads for the extension section.

I don't want to detract from your original request and there will be others on here far more qualified to comment than me.
My system is gas boiler which heats hot water in water tank in what I believe is called a 'Megger flow'. Hot water is pushed through at mains pressure which means showers only have to worry about flow and temp regulation.
Obviously your plumber should be able to advise on best options. From your specs you look far more organised than I was when I had an extension built. Spark turned up and asked what I wanted and I had to run round the house quickly marking where I wanted sockets and lights. Not good. Good luck.

I'd be supplying your shower from your new hot water cylinder if I were you. It will almost certainly be cheaper to run than an electric shower and far superior. What you'll need to do that will be a question for your plumber. You may not even need a pump depending on your system.

Re turning on the immersion, what will you be using for hot water for the kitchen sink/hand basins?

Philips Hue lamps can be retrofitted into any property with wifi - so I wouldn't be worrying about these until you know if you will have any money left over. Neat gadgets but expensive and I had a demo of a system from a client today.

Reply to Adding house extension(kitchen)& renovation - any tips? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net