• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Adding sockets to RFC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatAlan

Trainee
Trainee Access
Want to add two double sockets to one of my ground floor RFCs. Was initially thinking that it would have to be a FCU to a spur. Would it be better practice to just incorporate them as part of the ring?
Sockets will be running a TV and either PS4 or Xbox depending on what FA junior is in to. Not much else on the rest of the circuit other than four standard lights in the corners of the living room and another TV with linked hifi and satellite thingy?
Going to have fun sinking the back boxes as said wall is old external so straight into brick.

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Extending the ring to incorporate the new sockets would be my choice.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Want to add two double sockets to one of my ground floor RFCs. Was initially thinking that it would have to be a FCU to a spur. Would it be better practice to just incorporate them as part of the ring?
Sockets will be running a TV and either PS4 or Xbox depending on what FA junior is in to. Not much else on the rest of the circuit other than four standard lights in the corners of the living room and another TV with linked hifi and satellite thingy?
Going to have fun sinking the back boxes as said wall is old external so straight into brick.
Whichever is easiest, either way is OK

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
App 15 gives guidance on such matters, guessing you know that. Just depends on how much disruption, her indoors can handle!

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
this is how i did a rfc extension yesterday.

View attachment 35507

was necessary to fit a 35mm back box to allow space for the joints.

FatAlan

Trainee
Trainee Access
this is how i did a rfc extension yesterday.

View attachment 35507

was necessary to fit a 35mm back box to allow space for the joints.
I have 25mm back box which is set back slightly from the plaster surface. The additional sockets will be going on the other side of the wall that is adjacent to the socket in the photo. Will try and see if I can drill a hole straight through from the left hand side of box in the pic.

View attachment 35508

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
Them's posh faceplates @FatAlan - whittled from one solid block! Gonna match the others?

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
Tels probably took him 5 minutes to extend that ring but after reading thread after thread I did this one in 25, enjoyed it though.

View attachment 35509

Soldered as well I may add!

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Is all that tape and butchered crimp on the floor from your first attempt ;)

Pat H

Don't ask, get an Electrician in.
Yes I'd guess heat shrink. I prefer a silicone rubber tube first over the connector then the heat shrink. The heatshrink can get a bit thin on the edges of the crimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.