Discuss Adding switch + gfci to existing circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dantetman

DIY
Reaction score
Right now I have a circuit in my living room with a GFCI on the lead outlet. For various reasons I want to change that outlet to a non-GFCI, put half of the outlet on a switch, and mount the switch and a GFCI outlet halfway up the wall (where the new GFCI will cover the entire circuit).

I couldn't find guidance on "exactly" this issue, but after some research I concluded I would need to add a box for the switch+gfci, run two wires (12/3) between the old outlet and that new box, and basically "add the GFCI" as the new first plug in the circuit. Below is a slightly messy diagram of what I'm doing, I was hoping someone might take a look at my plan lmk if I'm missing something.

IMG_2671.JPG

Since I want the entire circuit GFCI I run all the line side wires straight to the second box and into the GFCI. On the way back, however, I split the load (black) between:

1) the switch, which uses the red 12/3 line to return the load to the top/switched side of the original outlet
2) the black 12/3 wire which returns non-switched GFCI power to the non-switched side of the original outlet

Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Best,
rt

Reply to Adding switch + gfci to existing circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello. I am new to wiring and could use some help getting this circuit wired in the kitchen . I am trying to get the source power to the GFCI and...
Replies
Views
I have a small power washer with a two-wire cord and GFCI plug. My outdoor and garage receptacles are on a "house GFCI" circuit, wired in series...
Replies
Views
Hello all! Newer house, original owner(Florida). no change to electrical system. Just found there was an outlet (GFCI) in the closet so I wanted...
Replies
Views
Without running new wire or at least ground, next best is GFCI receptacles for limited protection. I know about a bootleg ground to fool a tester...
Replies
Views
DYI guy here with some basic knowledge of electrical craft. I am helping a buddy in his remodeled bathroom. His GFCI outlet was powered off vanity...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock