• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Adding two lights to an existing 3-way switch? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Current situation: Great room is greatly deprived of light in one-half of the room.
Solution: Add two recessed lights to the current figuration.

I'm not sure how exactly to connect the new lights to the existing lights. I have seen where some explain to connect directly to one light and not to both. Or connect directly to the one light switch that is connected to the source.

I'll attach a rough sketch of the current situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment-1.jpeg

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
if you're not altering the switching arrangements, loop off the existing lighting points.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
loop from whichever light is easier. if you wanted to really push the boat out, you could switch the new lights independently, but that would involve a fair bit of additional wiring.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I was about to buy wiring. Since I'm going to loop to another light, should I buy 14/2 instead of 14/3?
1.5 T and E would be best don't understand US wires 14/2 14/3 is an alien conception to most UK sparks care to explain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1.5 T and E would be best don't understand US wires 14/2 14/3 is an alien conception to most UK sparks care to explain?
;) Likewise, 14 gauge wire with 2 or 3 conductors.
Post automatically merged:

Seems to be equivalent. But looking up the difference also helped answer my own question. Thanks again. :D CHEERIO! haha

;) Likewise, 14 gauge wire with 2 or 3 conductors.

Seems to be equivalent. But looking up the difference also helped answer my own question. Thanks again. :D CHEERIO! haha
Ironically, 14-3 has an extra "hot" wire. It was in my name the whole time :p

Last edited:

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
I was about to buy wiring. Since I'm going to loop to another light, should I buy 14/2 instead of 14/3?
Extra wire you would need to buy 14/2 with ground. Are you an electrician or can you get one, you don’t need to do it yourself

Current situation: Great room is greatly deprived of light in one-half of the room.

I'm not sure how exactly to connect the new lights to the existing lights. I have seen where some explain to connect directly to one light and not to both. Or connect directly to the one light switch that is connected to the source.

View attachment 52134
A electrician would probably tap on to one of the other 2 lights and not come from the switch

Wheres Megawatt when you need him
Littlespark I took a nap thanks for the help

View attachment 52134
Hire you an electrician please

Last edited:

Reply to Adding two lights to an existing 3-way switch? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom