Discuss Advice around electric fire power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to get some advice. We are in the process of building an entertainment unit which will have an electric fire floating on the front. However, this fire comes with a plug. I guess my question is, what's the best way to plug this in so the wire can't be seen? I wanted to add a socket in a cupboard next to it, and run the plug through the plasterboard. However, I'm not sure if that is against the regs. Any advice on this? I can provide a mock up of the entertainment unit if that helps.

Thanks a bunch guys, I love lurking on this forum.

Tom

So you are building a unit that will have an electric fire, TV and lights fitted into it?
What you doing for the plugs for the TV and lights?
What size fire?
Can the fire you are getting be enclosed in a unit, or is there enough space around it? What does the manual say?

So you are building a unit that will have an electric fire, TV and lights fitted into it?
What you doing for the plugs for the TV and lights?
What size fire?
Can the fire you are getting be enclosed in a unit, or is there enough space around it? What does the manual say?
The TV has 2 double sockets behind it for the TV, consoles etc. Then lights haven't been fitted yet but they will be on a switch as part of the lighting circuit.

The TV has 2 double sockets behind it for the TV, consoles etc. Then lights haven't been fitted yet but they will be on a switch as part of the lighting circuit.

Not really a good idea to build a unit around a socket. Especially if it makes the socket not accessible without taking it apart. Electricians like to get to sockets when testing.
How would you isolate the TV and console, if you can't get to the switch? You would have to turn off the breaker for the circuit.

Again, what is the rating of the fire?

Reply to Advice around electric fire power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net