Discuss Advice for getting into domestic electrical work with 18th and 2391-52? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am 19 years old and currently an automation maintenance engineer (3 year BTEC/NVQ LVL3 apprenticeship) at a large industrial firm and hold 18th edition wiring regs along with the C&G2391-52 certificate. I have always wanted to start up my own business due to all the perks it comes with and perhaps do some contracting work abroad (once this whole covid thing is over).

I have not yet started setting up my own company but doing research into how I could go about it and what kind of experience I would need, perhaps any recommendations on the next steps I should take? I don't have any experience working on domestic installations, just large industrial 3 phase machines which I carry out maintenance, fault diagnosis and inspection/testing.

My goal is to stay in my current job for the next 5 - 10 or so years earning a stable and very reasonable salary (£40Kp/a) whilst in that time also setting up my own company and getting the external experience and qualifications I need to become a self employed contractor, and hopefully when/if this becomes a success I can leave my job.

Any advice is much appreciated guys :)

Regards
Jay

From my viewpoint you are operating at the top of the tree electric wise. I have done domestic and light commercial for decades it is not as profitable as you are even at the beginning of your career. The future before you promises much more as you are then going it alone I would hazard. I only wish I had started where you are. I think your plan to work 5-10 years is good. In that time I imagine you will have sorted out your direction with a lot more experience and knowledge of the lay of the land, so to speak. Getting contracts on the level you are talking about is not an easy matter. It sounds like you may be thinking of installation, as opposed to the maintenance you are involved in? That again is a horse of a different colour. My guess is capitalise on your skills they are probably the most sought after and lucrative in the industry.

Like others, I would say with that salary you are doing pretty well, but salary isn't everything... Or maybe you might want to be another Jordan of Artisan Electrics (YouTube) and aim at the very top of the domestic market. There are other domestic elctricians on YouTube like Nick Bundy, CJR electrical, GSH electrical etc who all give a helpful insight into being a Domestic Electrician.
-----------.co.uk has lots of useful info.
Not sure what your NVQ covers, but beside Inspection & Testing & 18th edition you will need the Part P exam (C&G 2393)
Setting yourself up as a sole trader is fairly straightforward. Go here: Set up as a sole trader - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Working out what insurance you need is more difficult - not much clear comprehensive independent advice out there. Most people are aware of public (& product?) liability insurance, but you will also need to consider Professional Indemnity insurance, Efficacy Insurance, You may also want Tools cover (Theft of tools from vans is a huge problem in the industry). I am not sure if this list is comprehensive, but is the result of my own research so far. You will need to understand what each type of insurance cover provides & the level you need - probably a good idea to read the small print too (insurers have a vested interest in avoiding paying up when you want to claim...).
Given your testing qualification you will want to become "Part P" registered so that you can certify your work (you can work as a Domestic Electrician & restrict yourself to "minor works", but this will restrict what you can earn & you wouldn't be able to do work in a bathroom or install new circuits).
You may also want to get an ECS card - Home | Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ecscard.org.uk)

Hope this helps. All the best in your career.

Hi Guys

I am 19 years old and currently an automation maintenance engineer (3 year BTEC/NVQ LVL3 apprenticeship) at a large industrial firm and hold 18th edition wiring regs along with the C&G2391-52 certificate. I have always wanted to start up my own business due to all the perks it comes with and perhaps do some contracting work abroad (once this whole covid thing is over).

I have not yet started setting up my own company but doing research into how I could go about it and what kind of experience I would need, perhaps any recommendations on the next steps I should take? I don't have any experience working on domestic installations, just large industrial 3 phase machines which I carry out maintenance, fault diagnosis and inspection/testing.

My goal is to stay in my current job for the next 5 - 10 or so years earning a stable and very reasonable salary (£40Kp/a) whilst in that time also setting up my own company and getting the external experience and qualifications I need to become a self employed contractor, and hopefully when/if this becomes a success I can leave my job.

Any advice is much appreciated guys :)

Regards
Jay
IMHO I would stay where you are. As other's have said Automation is night and day from domestic or even commercial.

If you want to progress look at an HNC/HND and go down the PLC Tech route. Must more interesting than lifting floor boards and tracking walls.

Thanks for your advice guys!

I do have an open mind in terms of which route I want to take, and I have many options to choose from as I am still young and only just started my career in engineering. Seems like a self employed domestic/commercial electrical engineer may be a step down, from the responses I’ve read anyway.

The company I work for currently is a bit upside down in the sense that we (automation maintenance engineers) actually earn more than our managers and the team leaders etc, as we do a rotating shift pattern, and there isn’t much of a ladder to climb, and it’s definitely not worth climbing as once we get into management
we’re constantly watching over our backs incase the company decide to get rid of us!

Thankfully I am in a good position right now however I don’t want to stop here, once I get a few years experience I’m thinking of moving into another sector, away from maintenance and into something else automation/engineering related but not exactly sure just what yet.

I will be doing some research into the PLC Tech route, as never really thought about it.
Feel free to drop any other suggestions guys?

Reply to Advice for getting into domestic electrical work with 18th and 2391-52? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net