Discuss Advice needed on replacing standard rose pendant with spotlight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi electricians,

I have bought a metallic 3 x spotlight to replace a standard rose pendant. The light is on the landing which can be operated by two switches. I've attached some photos below.

I'd like some advice on how to wire this up. My plan is to:

• Connect the 3 neutral wires in the connector box provided
  • Connect the 2 wires for the switch in the connector box provided
  • Connect the 3 earth wires from the ceiling + the earth from the new light (which appears to be an extension of the luminere itself) in the connector box provided
  • Use a wago connector to connect the 2 live wires coming from the ceiling (should there be a 3rd?)
  • Cover the exposed earth wires from the ceiling in yellow/green insulation tape

Please let me know if I"m on the right path!

Thanks,
Ollie.
IMG_0492.jpegIMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0490.jpeg

The black and blue on the left to N, the single black on the right to L, the red and brown in the middle to a separate connector with no connection to the new light. Sleeve bare earths and into middle terminal.

This type of wiring catches a lot of people out.
You’ve got 2 blacks, but ones a neutral and one is the switchwire.... you’ve also got 2 types of wiring colours (ie brown and blue, red and black)

do as @westward10 suggests and you won’t go far wrong

Guys thank you for the advice. I followed your instructions and the light is working fine. The connector block was so damn fiddly for multiple wires I used wago connectors for everything apart from the earths.

Reply to Advice needed on replacing standard rose pendant with spotlight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net