Discuss Advice needed!! Self Employment.... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

trev85

Hi, I'm new to this - so Hello to all!

I wonder if you can help me ...

I have been thinking of going Self-Employed for a while now.
I'm happy with my job, the money's not bad and the jobs are okay, I've been at the company since I was 15/16 (I'm only 23 now) and I like nearly all the people I work with lol. However, I've been thinking of doing things for my self for a quite a while.
I'm a competent electrician, I've been running jobs for a while now and am always being asked to help out with family/friends/friends of friends jobs. The only problem with helping them is the fact that I cannot provide them with a certificate (despite being qualified to test) because of the stupid Part P!!

I'd like to hear from anyone that's set themselves up self-employed...

I could do with finding out:
- How much it's going to cost (for insurance, Part P etc)

I'm not looking to cut corners but need to know how much everything will cost so I can start looking towards budgets.
- What equipment i'm going to need i.e test equipment etc.

- How I go about enrolling for the NIC / NAPTA (Which one is better?)
- What the going rate for a self-employed electrician is (I know over heads influence this!)

Thanks for your help guys!

:)

on the financial side of things, i would recommend going as a limited company as opposed to sole trader, the paperwork is heftier but it's certainly worth it if you can get you head around it and stay on top

as for prices on all of the above, speak to your local distributor if you have an account there or...

you have the resource of the internet at your fingertips, shop around (google shopping is surprisingly good) and if you have competently run jobs before and know what you are doing, then knowing what kit you need should be self explanatory

I have been self employed for about 2 years now, if someone offered me a job that was good money and the work was ok, like you have got i would prob take it. It is a liitle bit quiet out there at the moment. save a few quid get some equipment sorted tester etc, nothing stopping you joining a scheme NIC etc and doing private work, build a client base and then go for it.

hi, would agree with smoggy , ive been self emp for over a year, thinking of taking on some agency work etc, i never have any consistency,its possibly going to get worse??? id save up, get all your gear,get a tidy van,get qualified,try some advertising then when your ready DO IT!!! i quit a job with van,all gear<heafty travel> as wife was having baby so needed to be close to home,i get a string of work then quiet,never manage to save anything,i wish i could have built it up on side,just gives you breathing space! best of luck with it man! its not all doom and gloom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments

Sorry for the long post, please read I am really confused

I have been doing "things on the side" for a while now I know its not the right thing to do with part P but I always tell the customer that even though I can test I cant give you any paper work . I do a good job to the regulations and never cut corners. I currently get around 3-4 calls a week for jobs and most I just have to say no, i.e. part P is needed for building regs.

My dad has a building company and says he will pay the nic or any other governing body. Because the electricians that he uses let him down from time to time costing him money if I don’t have much work I can do labouring for him and he will equal my wage as it is now.
My biggest problem would to tell my boss that I was leaving as he paid for all my training; I have never had any hassle and would consider him as a friend.

Do any of you guys/gals know if I can join the nic like smoggy said but still work for my current employer (so being self employed and paying taxes and all that goes with it) but still being employed by an nic company
if so can you please give me advise.
I have spoken to a few colleges about this in the past and they said no I would be kicked out of the nic for doing that (hopefully they were just being jelous or misinformed and not wanting me to better my self)

many thanks
trev

ring the NIC helpline, fi anyone can give you an accurate answer they can

if they dont tell you what they want to hear, you could always quizz them as to the best way to go about setting up and see what they suggest if this is not an option

working on the side whilst working for your current boss probably wont go down to well especially if you are advertising in his backyard:rolleyes:

id work for an agency probobally in an area i wouldnt be working in building up my own thing,ie commercial whereas my advertising would be for domestic.back in the 90s i worked for an agency where there were 200 sparks on a new hospital build,some were from companies who were quiet at the time.

Thanks for your comments

Sorry for the long post, please read I am really confused

I have been doing "things on the side" for a while now I know its not the right thing to do with part P but I always tell the customer that even though I can test I cant give you any paper work . I do a good job to the regulations and never cut corners. I currently get around 3-4 calls a week for jobs and most I just have to say no, i.e. part P is needed for building regs.

My dad has a building company and says he will pay the nic or any other governing body. Because the electricians that he uses let him down from time to time costing him money if I don’t have much work I can do labouring for him and he will equal my wage as it is now.
My biggest problem would to tell my boss that I was leaving as he paid for all my training; I have never had any hassle and would consider him as a friend.

Do any of you guys/gals know if I can join the nic like smoggy said but still work for my current employer (so being self employed and paying taxes and all that goes with it) but still being employed by an nic company
if so can you please give me advise.
I have spoken to a few colleges about this in the past and they said no I would be kicked out of the nic for doing that (hopefully they were just being jelous or misinformed and not wanting me to better my self)

many thanks
trev

If your current company is registered with NIC, you should register with Elecsa or one of the others. Don't think i'd bother registering self employed till i was earning enough, did you say pay tax:eek:

on the financial side of things, i would recommend going as a limited company as opposed to sole trader, the paperwork is heftier but it's certainly worth it if you can get you head around it and stay on top

Sorry to be a pain but could you briefly explain why?

Also, is there a difference in cost in setting up as a Ltd?

shop around and setting up ltd will cost you £50.

it's a bit in depth to explain myself but have a look here...

Sole Trade -v- Limited Company - UK Business Forums - the UK's most active help and advice forum for owners, managers and entrepreneurs of small businesses and startups.

also, ring an accountant for a free consultation and he may be able to fill in some gaps

also note, the above forum is a very useul resource if you do decide to go ltd, their users are very well informed and in the most part extremely kind and more than helpful

Reply to Advice needed!! Self Employment.... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock