Discuss Advice please on why recently installed cooker is sometimes tripping the tripswitch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jacky

-
Reaction score
Hello all. recently bought a secondhand dual fuel cooker. Range Master Leisure.. Serial No. 5407003589. When it was first put in it worked fine. Then the following day, when the fan oven was switched on it would trip out. Got in touch with guy we bought cooker from and he said he never had problems. And that maybe our fuse box wasnt up to handling the cooker? I got in touch with the company of the cooker and was told most likely the fan oven element needed replacing. I bought new element, fitted this myself and hey presto, the cooker oven worked!!!! and worked for afew days...... Then last night went to cook dinner, soon as oven was turned on the thing tripped again. Left cooker off all night tried again today and same thing happened. Can aynone please tell me what the heck is going on? and what needsto be done to rectify this. Any advice would be most appreciated.

What was the cooker connected to? What is tripping? Is it an MCB or RCD (or RCBO) and what is the rating? Post a picture if you are not sure. Also, if the oven has a rating plate can you post a picture of that or a model number. Was it installed by an electrician?

Also, is it working properly with just the hobs in use but tripping with the oven turned on? Even if the oven is the only thing turned on?

Hello again. just so you know, i am a housewife of 58. Between me and the hubby we get by on most electrical stuff but this has us stumped. My guy knows a little but is not in anyway shape or form a professional. So, the cooker was and still is wired into the cooker switch on the wall. It has the 2 red lights...
Advice please on why recently installed cooker is sometimes tripping the tripswitch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The cooker switch is on and the cooker is working. then when fan oven was turned on via the knob, the cooker tripped. When it trips it is the middle grey switch that trips not the big red one. We turn power back on at fuse box with the cooker switch off and all is good again. Have tried another 2 times to put the cooker switch on and the first time the cooker tripped straight away, the 2nd time the power stayed on and it only tripped when the oven was turned on via the knob. I dont think it is the element because since buying a new one from e.spares the cooker oven has worked. Hubby was cooking the roast yesterday for about 1.5 hours on low, he took meat out to put roast pots in and when he shut the oven door, the cooker went off again, so we had to use the gas oven insted to finish dinner. We can use the gas hobs and the electric hot plate and griddle will still work when the oven isnt????? Also when you say what is the rating i do not understand what you mean? sorry.... do u mean the fuse box rating?

Hello again. just so you know, i am a housewife of 58. Between me and the hubby we get by on most electrical stuff but this has us stumped. My guy knows a little but is not in anyway shape or form a professional. So, the cooker was and still is wired into the cooker switch on the wall. It has the 2 red lights...
Advice please on why recently installed cooker is sometimes tripping the tripswitch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The cooker switch is on and the cooker is working. then when fan oven was turned on via the knob, the cooker tripped. When it trips it is the middle grey switch that trips not the big red one. We turn power back on at fuse box with the cooker switch off and all is good again. Have tried another 2 times to put the cooker switch on and the first time the cooker tripped straight away, the 2nd time the power stayed on and it only tripped when the oven was turned on via the knob. I dont think it is the element because since buying a new one from e.spares the cooker oven has worked. Hubby was cooking the roast yesterday for about 1.5 hours on low, he took meat out to put roast pots in and when he shut the oven door, the cooker went off again, so we had to use the gas oven insted to finish dinner. We can use the gas hobs and the electric hot plate and griddle will still work when the oven isnt????? Also when you say what is the rating i do not understand what you mean? sorry.... do u mean the fuse box rating?
need to know what the "middle grey switch" is.does it have a test button on it?

Hi Jacky,
It's difficult for any of the good folk on this forum to advise or suggest possible causes/solutions without the relevant information and even then it may still require an onsite visit from an appliance engineer or an electrician depending on what the fault might be.
If you can post pictures of the "fuse board" pointing out the protection device that trips when the problem occurs, will be helpful and be the first port of call. There are a few different types of protection devices and determining which type may narrow down the fault finding process.

pin holes and leaks in heating elements is very common,
one or more of your elements is leaking to ground.
once you have worked out which one ( by a process of elemination )
then replace it with a new one.

Again, this thread is over 6 months old and the OP is probably long gone.

Maybe she never fixed the problem and without a working cooker, has now starved to death ? Just an idea...
nah. there's a pizza /kebab/chippy/subway/mcDonalds all within spitting distance. who needs a cooker?

Reply to Advice please on why recently installed cooker is sometimes tripping the tripswitch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock