Discuss Advice Regarding Connecting 16amp plug to 32 amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an amateur with little knowledge of electrics, so please bear with me.

I recently bought a petrol generator Pacini 6.5KVA Petrol 13HP Generator, Electric start - https://ige.ie/pacini-6-5kva-petrol-13hp-generator-electric-start

The purpose of the generator is to power basic household appliances in the event of a power failure. In all likelyhood, just TV, laptop, computer, router, and some LED lights. That would be about it. I suppose if it was an extended outage I might like to wash some clothes in the washing machine.

When I went to get an adapter to convert 32amp to 13 amp, I realised I had a problem, which I think I now at least understand.

What I am thinking as a solution is to is

Buy a 32amp power X distributor - Brennenstuhl CEE Power X Distributor 32A – Thomann Ireland - https://www.thomann.de/ie/brennenstuhl_cee_power_x_distributor_32a.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMGNBhCyARIsANpUkzNx0VoBpQCpB94mgUXgDd55DRkwlIHx4Z06tQlFvBabl4H_2JFCf20aAvtAEALw_wcB

Then run 2 32amp to 16amp adapters with a 16amp MCB - 32A to 16A adaptor/splitter (230v & 415v options) - https://toughleads.co.uk/products/32a-to-16a-230v-splitter

Then at the end of each of the above cables (which has an MCB) but a 16amp to 13amp adapter - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-175...16a+to+13a+adapter&qid=1638977724&sr=8-5&th=1

What do you guys think? Would it work safely?

Many thanks,
Michael

My first concern with that generator is there does not appear to be and RCD protection on the outlet sockets. I am not familiar with the ROI regulations but I suspect they are similar to the UK once and socket outlets should have 30mA RCD protection. Some of our ROI based members such as @Risteard or @LastManOnline will be better qualified to comment on that aspect.

You can get 13A outlet blocks with 32A plugs already assembled, this is a professional example (and related price-point) and they will do specials such as longer cables on request:

Also note that the generator will need to be earthed, for example, to the earth rods that would be part of a typical ROI instillation (again, ROI members can correct me).

Finally remember that they MUST be operated in the open or VERY WELL VENTILATED location! That tends to go against the desire not to have them stolen, but never be tempted to run on in a garage or similar, CO poisoning is likely to follow.

@pc1966 beat me to it. I was just typing this....
I think you have the right idea. What do the instructions say about earthing?
Main concern - what is missing from your plan is RCD protection.
An off-the-shelf solution (costing more) is to substitute your last item with something like this:

An alternative approach is to get an electrician to make you up a board with a consumer unit, 32A input, and 16A output sockets.

An alternative approach is to get an electrician to make you up a board with a consumer unit, 32A input, and 16A output sockets.
It is possible that the toughleads.co.uk folks would make an RCBO version of the 32A to 16A adaptor on request?

I would prefer to see the RCD as close to the generator as practical, so the (presumably) long cable in to the house has some protection.

My first concern with that generator is there does not appear to be and RCD protection on the outlet sockets. I am not familiar with the ROI regulations but I suspect they are similar to the UK once and socket outlets should have 30mA RCD protection. Some of our ROI based members such as @Risteard or @LastManOnline will be better qualified to comment on that aspect.

You can get 13A outlet blocks with 32A plugs already assembled, this is a professional example (and related price-point) and they will do specials such as longer cables on request:

Also note that the generator will need to be earthed, for example, to the earth rods that would be part of a typical ROI instillation (again, ROI members can correct me).

Finally remember that they MUST be operated in the open or VERY WELL VENTILATED location! That tends to go against the desire not to have them stolen, but never be tempted to run on in a garage or similar, CO poisoning is likely to follow.
Sorry missed your post. Yes the socket-outlets should be RCD protected.

Reply to Advice Regarding Connecting 16amp plug to 32 amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net