Search the forum,

Discuss Ali-express DY4100 Digital Earth Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Don't worry I haven't gone (completely) mad.
About a year ago a ride-on-lawnmower became over-friendly with my long RE test leads while I was drinking tea inside. I needed some replacements for a job next week so I was about to shell out nearly £100 for a new set, and then a thought crossed my mind.
The cheapest product out there with the leads I need is a DY4100 Digital Earth Tester from Ali Express for £48.
The marketing speaks for itself:
"fine looking and practical"
"suitable for different fields"
"Third gear position measurement, meet a variety of different occasions, make measurements smarter and more convenient"

How could I resist adding this to my collection of junk?

1715796241462.png

It had to be worth a try, hopefully the leads and probes would be serviceable, the English translation of the manual would entertain me, and I've have a bonus 'fell out of a cereal packet' tester to stick on a shelf, take apart, give a Viking funeral, or any other destructive actions I could dream up after last orders on a Friday night.

After waiting patiently for the tester, and then for a 12v A23 battery to turn up I could finally try out my new 'fine looking and practical' toy. Here it is measuring a very poorly rod that it about to be replaced, along with my Metrel's verdict using same leads.

1715796394986.png

(A loop test gave 429 ohms)

My favourite paragraph from the manual?

"Please place rod of assistant (C1) in land with high water content. You need to add water abundantly in dry land, sand land or land that is stoned. When stoned lie earth bar flat like meeting cement ground and cover with abundantly wet towel before testing"

On a more serious note the leads seem more than adequate for my needs.

The AliExpress tester is well within 10% of the Metrel loop reading which actually isn't bad for that type of test. Also please remove the plastic screen protector off the Metrel, it's going to give me sleepless nights.

The AliExpress tester is well within 10% of the Metrel loop reading which actually isn't bad for that type of test
Indeed - it has surprised me.
Also please remove the plastic screen protector off the Metrel, it's going to give me sleepless nights.
Ah it's my spare (calibrated) tester - in fact my only tester that does RE tests, a great little unit - but yes I never took the protector off!!

What is a "digital earth", and how do you test it?
All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

Or did you want a serious answer about RE tests?!

Reply to Ali-express DY4100 Digital Earth Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock