Discuss American FF tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi I have a customer with an American Fridge freezer that trips the RCD every couple of hours. The FF is a couple of years old and cost £2000 apparently , so the customer says replacing it is out of the question. Obviously all domestic circuits are to be RCD protected but is there a get out with a risk assessment to take that circuit off the RCD? It is not a dedicated circuit as it is the kitchen ring. Any advice would be great.
Cheers

Beat me to it ruston.

I have a little earth leakage clamp meter set it to min max and leave it on suspect appliance.

could you install a non-RCD dedicated circuit and fir a FCU?

You are stuffed without test gear , is it when the fridge or the freezer is cutting that is tripping it ? long shot that it is noticed I know

could you install a non-RCD dedicated circuit and fir a FCU?

Here Tel, borrow my Tin hat!

No he is right , as long as the circuit does not require an RCD because of installation methods.
I was going to suggest that if it was only high earth leakage that is causing the problem

You are stuffed without test gear , is it when the fridge or the freezer is cutting that is tripping it ? long shot that it is noticed I know
Apparently in this model every now and then a heating element comes on to defrost the coil when needed and it is common to develop more earth leakage than an 30ma rcd will take. If it can't go on a non rcd circuit then there fooked by the looks of it

No he is right , as long as the circuit does not require an RCD because of installation methods.
I was going to suggest that if it was only high earth leakage that is causing the problem
That's the answer im looking for but is there exceptions in the regs to put ait on a non rcd circuit in domestic ?

Can’t see that happening in a kitchen where there is an American FF though!
Could bounce off of the other thread with the SWA going outside the house and then back in to an outlet!

RCDs are required for...
1. Sockets.
2. luminaires.
3. cables buried <50mm deep in walls ( unless otherwise protected yadayada.

avoid 1.2.and 3, by 1.fitting FCU instead of socket, 2 is irrelevant. 3.choosing installation method .

The requirement is for socket outlets and installation methods . As long as your method does not require rcd protection and you are sure the FF is not faulty there is nothing to stop you using an fcu as @telectrix suggests.

Can’t see that happening in a kitchen where there is an American FF though!
Could bounce off of the other thread with the SWA going outside the house and then back in to an outlet!

If it is a posh kitchen it will probably cost as much to put in than to fix the thing. ;)
PS . It will depend on your board , you may not have an unprotected way . It might start getting ...

Last edited:

Reply to American FF tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock