Discuss Any recommendations for a light weight electric screwdriver? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

How long have you had it? Any problems so far?
[automerge]1567342246[/automerge]
Thanks as usual for the input guys.... however i have ignored you all and gone for something else! No offence:D.

I would have bought the Wiha speedE as even with that price tag it looks as though within a month or 2 it could have paid for itself. However, amazon has 3 reviews on it and 2 of them are very poor. I believe one of the reviews is by @NDG Elecs . I'd be interested to hear if you ever got your Wiha back NDG, and if so are you happy with it now, any more problems, do you use it lots?

I have gone for cheap and cheerful this time TACKLIFE Electric Screwdriver, 3.6V Screwdriver Drill Set 2000mAh Li-on 3 Flexible Positions and 6 Torque Setting with 31pcs Bonus Bits, Front and Rear Lam in a Storage Box -SDH13DC: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cordless-Screwdriver-Tacklife-Lithium-Ion-Positions/dp/B01N0ZGIG0
@happyhippydad

I have it back now yes. Took around 6-8wks to do so though. I use it not daily but a few times a week.. Useful in tight spots. I rarely change the bit on it as by the time you have done I would have finished the job with another driver.
I wouldn't say it was any faster than if you were for instance putting a 3.5mm screw in with both hands (twisting handle with one hand and drivers shaft with the other) - you know the technique!! It is useful as I say in tight spots when it is hard to get your hand(s) in the right place..
TBH it is a bit of a lambo of a tool when a nice BMW would do instead!
I use it more when second fixing rewires.

I have it back now yes. Took around 6-8wks to do so though. I use it not daily but a few times a week.. Useful in tight spots. I rarely change the bit on it as by the time you have done I would have finished the job with another driver.
I wouldn't say it was any faster than if you were for instance putting a 3.5mm screw in with both hands (twisting handle with one hand and drivers shaft with the other) - you know the technique!! It is useful as I say in tight spots when it is hard to get your hand(s) in the right place..
TBH it is a bit of a lambo of a tool when a nice BMW would do instead!
I use it more when second fixing rewires.
Thanks for that NDG, good analogy with the cars! :)
What I'll probably do is use the cheapy tacklife one i've bought and then over the next few weeks convince myself that I need the Wiha as well:D
I wonder why we love tools so much. I'm not fussed about clothes, cars, TV's, anything material really, but I do like buying tools. Perhaps books, I do like books as well.

I'm sure there was a thread on here recently which heartily endorsed the use of an impact driver for those delicate screws...NOT!

I really like this, though...

I'm sure there was a thread on here recently which heartily endorsed the use of an impact driver for those delicate screws...NOT!

I really like this, though...
Looks NICE was it ? or what

Sorry, Pete999, I don't have one! i just like the concept of variable speed and gyroscopic control. Indeed, I couldn't find any for sale from the usual outlets last time i looked.

gyroscopic?????, pirate you've not yet sussed out how to use your ship's compass. :p:p:p.

Sorry, Pete999, I don't have one! i just like the concept of variable speed and gyroscopic control. Indeed, I couldn't find any for sale from the usual outlets last time i looked.
Take a trip to the big O shed or Lidl:innocent:
they sometimes some decent cheap stuff on offer

i find the aldi tools are better than lidl's. my workzone sds 18v or 20v, can't rem.) will do most drilling for rawlplugs and at £50 it's not a suicide job if i drop it off a ladder.

gyroscopic?????, pirate you've not yet sussed out how to use your ship's compass. :p:p:p.
He aint worked ot howto use a screwdriver yet Tel give the Lad a chance, rush rush all the time chill out Liverpool weren't built in a day, might look like it though sorry mate

He aint workek out howto use a screwdriver yet Tel give the Lad a chance, rush rush all the time chill out Liverpool weren't built in a day, might look like it though sorry mate
it's easy enough. the pointy end goes in the screw

talking about screwdriver ends. phillips, pozi, torx, i,ve been using the square head ( commonly called robertson) for some time. i'll be laffing from my grave when some of these young sprogs come across them in the future and can't get them out. :p:p:p.

Tel, for your information, my ship's autopilot works on a gyroscope! And the yardarm works on the principle that if it ain't sunny, then the sun must be over it, so drinks all round!
Also, I had a boat once where Robertson screws were used everywhere...it was built in teak, beautiful varnished teak...and I actually still have a couple of the screwdrivers!
One advantage is that with square-headed screws, it is easier to align them!
[automerge]1567350995[/automerge]
Just to save you all any bother:

i find the aldi tools are better than lidl's. my workzone sds 18v or 20v, can't rem.) will do most drilling for rawlplugs and at £50 it's not a suicide job if i drop it off a ladder.

I dropped the Wiha approx 4 inches onto soft carpet when it stopped working !!! o_O:eek::eek:
[automerge]1567356926[/automerge]
Thanks for that NDG, good analogy with the cars! :)
What I'll probably do is use the cheapy tacklife one i've bought and then over the next few weeks convince myself that I need the Wiha as well:D
I wonder why we love tools so much. I'm not fussed about clothes, cars, TV's, anything material really, but I do like buying tools. Perhaps books, I do like books as well.

I guess it's the little things that make our job easier. Makes sense to invest sometimes. I'm liking the look of that £30 Bosch jobby I must say !!

me personally i love Milwaukee electric screwdriver; i have two with me so i can quickly adjust and i did not pay $160+ for each but only $45 for each on ebay. these are really good, very lightweight and have multiple speeds.
one i have is model 6546-1 which is older model, newer model 2102-20 is slightly heavier and slightly larger (looks same), but more powerful.
i am not into spending allot of money on expensive tools to show off but in this i looked around was patient and was able to get a good deal. i had probably half-of dozen of other screwdrivers (ryoby and bosch included) but all of them were either too bulky, too large or not maneuverable.

Any recommendations for a light weight electric screwdriver? 6546-1 - EletriciansForums.net

I’ve a Bosch IXO. Must be 10 years old now and perfect for the job. It’s not automatic with pressure, just a variable speed trigger. Lidl/Aldi do something similar.

Just as long as all you Formula 1 tyre changers know,i'll be getting EICR money,for repairing all those sheared screws and stripped threads... ;)

Reply to Any recommendations for a light weight electric screwdriver? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock