Discuss Anybody ever fitted a DC Rapid Charger in a domestic property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I have a customer who lives in an exceptionally large house on outskirts of Bath. for context the previous tenant was a billionaire!
Initially wants a 22kw 3 phase AC ev charger, no problem there subject to DNO confirming the supply is adequate and fuse ratings etc..
He is lucky as his house is remote and a few hundred meters from the nearest property and he has a WPD DNO substation/transformer on the property around 30m from the current cut out/garage.
Wants either now or when garage is rebuilt to have a 50kw DC Rapid Charger installed.
Sort of took me by surprise but is adamant he wants one, even after telling him the £12k + cost just for charger before ground works, switchgear and labour price doesnt seem to faze him.
I cant see DNO ever allowing that off the house supply so will if they even allow it at all charge a fortune for new connection just for the charger. he will dig trenches using his own groundworkers so DNO only need to run cable. will still be expensive!
I know from previous experience with the DNO that they say a 50kw DC charger uses same network capacity as 25 gas heated new build flats so they dont exactly like them!
Never been involved in fitting one in a domestic setting before, fitted 2 in a company car park but thats about it.
anybody else fitted DC Rapid chargers in a house / mansion?

I have a customer who lives in an exceptionally large house on outskirts of Bath. for context the previous tenant was a billionaire!
Initially wants a 22kw 3 phase AC ev charger, no problem there subject to DNO confirming the supply is adequate and fuse ratings etc..
He is lucky as his house is remote and a few hundred meters from the nearest property and he has a WPD DNO substation/transformer on the property around 30m from the current cut out/garage.
Wants either now or when garage is rebuilt to have a 50kw DC Rapid Charger installed.
Sort of took me by surprise but is adamant he wants one, even after telling him the £12k + cost just for charger before ground works, switchgear and labour price doesnt seem to faze him.
I cant see DNO ever allowing that off the house supply so will if they even allow it at all charge a fortune for new connection just for the charger. he will dig trenches using his own groundworkers so DNO only need to run cable. will still be expensive!
I know from previous experience with the DNO that they say a 50kw DC charger uses same network capacity as 25 gas heated new build flats so they dont exactly like them!
Never been involved in fitting one in a domestic setting before, fitted 2 in a company car park but thats about it.
anybody else fitted DC Rapid chargers in a house / mansion?

On location as I used to live in Bath and interested that's all no names no pack drill

Which charger you using as i was quoted £22K for a 50KW Rolec.

As for capacity if he has a dedicated transformer, i would be looking to see how big it is, would be looking to see if anyone else is fed off it and do some calcs to see if it is feasable without a transformer upgrade before enquiry to DNO.

I must confess though that i am not aware DNO getting upset about what the capacity is used for, they know EV is coming.

e.g. Just fitted 2 X 7.5 KW chargers for a large house. He had a TP service head but just using one phase. Checked the other two phases were lit, then contacted DNO for a MPAN, it took a phone call to explain what it was all about, had decision in half an hour and an MPAN 10 mins later. Got meter man to install meter and stick a fuse in service head and hey presto another 24KW and one spare phase

Which charger you using as i was quoted £22K for a 50KW Rolec.

As for capacity if he has a dedicated transformer, i would be looking to see how big it is, would be looking to see if anyone else is fed off it and do some calcs to see if it is feasable without a transformer upgrade before enquiry to DNO.

I must confess though that i am not aware DNO getting upset about what the capacity is used for, they know EV is coming.

e.g. Just fitted 2 X 7.5 KW chargers for a large house. He had a TP service head but just using one phase. Checked the other two phases were lit, then contacted DNO for a MPAN, it took a phone call to explain what it was all about, had decision in half an hour and an MPAN 10 mins later. Got meter man to install meter and stick a fuse in service head and hey presto another 24KW and one spare phase
This house is already full to bursting with circuits which even allowing for diversity is pushing each of the three phases close to the limit. amazed its not blown.
induction hobs, showers, hot tubs, outbuildings and more.
DNO are going to be attending site to take a look and advise.

Is there a possibility of using a battery storage to supplement the high peak demand?

Reply to Anybody ever fitted a DC Rapid Charger in a domestic property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net