Discuss Anyone have American electric questions? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

when u take apart the system, you will find a small transformer attached to the cord where [in a system bought in the states] 120v goes in. in other words, its a 120 VAC to
[typically] 3 VDC transformer. Its two ouputs are 3 VDC and ground. If you have one,
you can replace it with a 230 VAC to [typically] 3 VDC transformer and replace the wall cord [american plug] with a Brit or euro plug.
Ok I checked out with a couple of electricians lets say more estute than me, and low and behold, as they have never worked on US type of equipmemt before there quite apprehensive touching this, even after I explained what your solutions were; i have another person to speak with, but in the event, iv'e come up with plan B, that is
Step-down Voltage Conversion?

This Power Bright VC750 Step-down Voltage Converter is for use in the UK to power electrical equipment from the USA. What it does is convert UK 220 - 240 volts to US 110 - 120 volts. The output is pure AC and the voltage converter can be used with all appliances rated 0 - 750W. This voltage converter will take US two pin and three pin plugs.

if I use this converter, my amp being 700W (100W per channel x 7) however I will be only using 5 channels, so 500W ( i will of course double check this if i'm correct), what i really need to satisfy myself and from your points that have been very helpful indeed, if I connect this converter will I get into trouble with the freq being 60Hz; one idea that came thru is "except that a power supply provides a dc output, so none of the components of the actual amp “see” the supply frequency. Most power supplies will work happily with 50 or 60 Hz. The dc voltage they produce aren’t affected by supply frequency until the supply frequency becomes very large (several hundred Hz). It depends on the bridge rectifier being used".

is this accurate, and it help me with the solution of; Step-down Voltage Conversion etc, cheers

i agree, the step down transformer is a good solution, and you are correct that
the internals of your system will only see DC anyway, so 50 or 60 hz in the wall voltage is irrellevant. good solution :)

i agree, the step down transformer is a good solution, and you are correct that
the internals of your system will only see DC anyway, so 50 or 60 hz in the wall voltage is irrellevant. good solution :)
cheers for getting back on this..blinding stuff, one thing my voltage is 250W, not 700W as I thought, so i got a 500W voltage convertor...maybe on to the right thing afterall, cheers

HI there,
I hope you can answer my question. I would like to purchase a microwave which is not sold in the UK, only the US but want to make sure that it would be compatible with UK voltage.Here is the link for the exact product:
Nostalgia Electrics RMO-400RED Retro Series 0.9-Cubic Foot Microwave Oven - Red - Specialty Appliances at Small Appliance Source
I have emailed the company 'Nostalgia Electrics', who make the microwave, asking about the voltage & if there was a transformer available that I could purchase & this was the reply I received:
"Thanks you for being interested in our product. Unfortunately we do not have information on adapters. Here are the specifications on the unit. It is 115 Volts, 60 Hertz and 120 Watts.
Hope this helps"

Not very helpful at all.
Any information you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.
Awaiting your reply.
Kindest Regards
Simi

Hi I have a heater that I need help with.
It is 3 phase 240/208 volts with 3 elements connected in delta. The nameplate is as follows:
watts: 9000. voltage: 240/208. amps: 21.7/25. phase: 3.
Obviously this is american and I want to use it in the uk. I was thinking of using a 380/230 4 wire supply and connecting the elements in star and connecting the neutral to the star point. Is this correct?
if so what output will I get ie Watts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Conor

Last edited by a moderator:
im unsure of this, it PROBABLY will work but
I cant guarantee it and please write back and let us know how this works. fwiw, I would ground ["earth] the frame of the heater with a 5th wire.

After having just come back from my holiday in florida, a couple of things i wondered if you could help me with .

1. I have noticed that you do not seem to use anything but conduit for commercial installations, the only time i saw trunking used was in disney with lights on it and in small pieces below panels top common up conduit runs. Has nobody thought of introducing trunking to the states as it would seem to be a much quicker way of doing things. instead of 20 runs of tubing you could have one run of trunking???
Well, doesnt 17th ed require you to de-rate the ampacity of the wires used if there is more than 3 current carrying conductors? In the NEC if you have - for ex. - 10 wires in a raceway [conduit or trunking] the ampacity of the wires is de-rated 50%.
2. Why dont they like putting 2 way switching systems in hotels/villas, the amount of times i switched the bedroom lamp on at the door switch then off at the lamp and then come the next night go to turn it on and its not going to come on as its off at the Lamp. Stumble across the room to find the lamp and turn it on there. Then repeat every night till I leave .
Nick
single pole switch $1 or $2, two way switch $5-8 each.

Well, doesnt 17th ed require you to de-rate the ampacity of the wires used if there is more than 3 current carrying conductors? In the NEC if you have - for ex. - 10 wires in a raceway [conduit or trunking] the ampacity of the wires is de-rated 50%.

single pole switch $1 or $2, two way switch $5-8 each.

we do have to derate conductors for grouping as we call it, but in this country the decrease in the labour cost of using trunking over conduit, will often outweigh the copper saved.

Reply to Anyone have American electric questions? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net