Discuss Anyone IET members? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

silva.foxx

Just want to know if any or many on this forum are members of the IET?

If so, what's the crack with it?
Is it benficial/worth it?
Recommended?

Being a factory / automation / raggeddyarsed spark; would it benefit or promote?

Just a passing interest in the cult... not the She Sells Sanctuary one :rolleyes:!

Reeeegardz

s.f

Yes i am a MIET IENG. Obviously gives you some fancy letters LOL. Depends what you want out of it. Great library of information at hand, loads of conference stuff etc. been a member for 10 years or more now find it helpful.

Definitely promotes your image especially at an interview stage make for a good impression to start with. Have you looked at the web site ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also a member, though only student status at the moment. The IET are a very helpfull resourse, and if you are looking to progress your career it can really help.

Hi, I'm registered as EngTech TMIET, got 15% off IEE 17th edition and oOn Site Guide.
Their lbrary is great. If you want to get a professional registration you must out some
work into your portfolio. If you are a JIB/ECS card holder the registration goes faster.

I'm MIET also.

Got mine via JIB, costs me £107 a year.

You get a nice diploma and a magazine every month. Architects and consultants seem to love you but Joe Bloggs wouldn't know what it was about.

I cant say I've gained extra work from it just adds to the company portfolio is all.

Hi, I'm MIET. Joined as a student during my HNC days. Great for information purposes. I have not completed the IENG registration forms yet (at stage 1 or 3 the first stage of the the process) may look in to it again. On a career break at the moment, looking after children, housework, decorating, building and gardening as you do.

I have found the a lot of Engineering managers and supervisors have or very little Engineering Qualifications or professional reconition status, I get the impression they don't seem to like people who have.

I have "Bsc (Hons) MIET LCG" but generally don't tell people if I can help it, no one likes a knowall.

As for the professional Qualifications I kept up my vocational qualifications up to date, all my City and Guilds, my JIB ECS card. Looking to start part time self employed, may be also see if other sparks need short term help. There are many pies I can put my fingers in.

What sort of assessment do you under go?

What sort of work examples do they look for?

Andy... as an industry guy do you recommend it? Eng Tech?

Thanks guys for your valued input. ;)

Regards
s.f

Regards
s.f

If you're JIB registered you just apply and give your JIB registration number.

I'm not registered with anyone.

I've always been in a production industry as a maintenance spark after progressing through an apprenticeship.

s.f

Hi,

you need samples of work only if you apply for professional registration (EngTech and upwards).
As an non-pro member just apply. I would recommend a JIB/ECS registration as well, it is a lot
of paperwork involved but after acceptance you'll get an ID card with all your qualifications listed
on it. Back ti the IET pro application: it is more or less a portfolio of your working life, they wand
samples of experience in different areas, e.g. Health and Safety, problem analysis, design and
development ... You need two IET members to sponsor you, they basically confirm that your portfolio
is telling the truth. I enjoyed doing the portfolio actually, it helped me a lot to write a new CV for
myself (never know when it will come handy)

Regards
s.f

Normally the IET will decide your position. I,m guessing you have looked and trying to get Eng Tech. When i was going for IEng you had an interview with three people on a panel. They asked about all the things listed on the IET criteria. Also took along a portfolio of work I had achieved cover the criteria.

As for being worth it, anything that promotes you and makes you stand out from the others is worth it. Would not say it will get you any work if yourself employed but will get you an interview if your going for a new job or promotion. It is also about self esteem and achievement for yourself. Most people never say they have this unless asked, but it does come in useful if you have to write the odd complaining letter or so.

I am looking at going for Chartered, so that should be a challenge for me! LOL :eek:

Engineering Technician (EngTech) is an important career marker as it marks out those with the qualification as highly skilled and experienced, and demonstrates a commitment to a professional approach. EngTech registration adds impressive credentials to a technician’s CV, thereby enhancing career opportunities and at the same time brings the benefits of becoming a Member (TMIET).
Am I eligible to apply for EngTech registration via the apprentice route?
You are eligible to apply under this scheme if you have successfully completed an IET approved apprenticeship scheme. The full list of approved apprenticeship scheme providers can be found in the list of internet resources opposite. Please note that you must have completed an approved pathway (completed certain modules within your apprenticeship) in order to qualify. This will be assessed once we have received your application.
http://www.------.org/careers/profreg/engtech/apprentice.cfm

Good Luck :)

Reply to Anyone IET members? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock