Discuss Appliance repairs... Stick or twist.. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I occasionally get calls for appliance repairs, and got one tonight from a stressed sounding chippy owner about his deep fat fryer. I politely turned him down and gave him the number of someone I know who deals with appliances, as I knows very little really. But then it got me thinking. I have carried out minor repairs before to cooker extractors, and obviously oven/NSH/towel radiator elements etc. And I was thinking which type of appliances are still fairly straight forward these days. I would not want to go near a washing machine for example, but should I entertain other items? If so, which are the simpler beasts out there?

I would expect there is an increasing amount of circuitry in modern day appliances, so is it best to completely avoid, as electronics is not my forte. I would say I have a reasonable grasp of basic engineering and design principles, and can often fathom things out. I am after an idea as to whether it's best to stay well clear in the future of this, albeit minor, possible area of work.

Any tips welcomed.

Most domestic appliances are cheaper than they were 20 years ago so most just buy new. lots of tv and washer repair shops have gone now as no money in it.
If you feel comfortable with the work and your insurance covers it crack on if it gets you a wage.

Yeah, I suppose things are a lot more disposable than twenty plus years ago... I think I will play it by ear then and continue as is. When that next appliance call comes in, which is irregular, I will decide at that moment whether to have a look.

I tend to say that I can have a look at the appliance and may be able to get it going again but if it is a circuit board or internal electronic component then it is out of my range and so this gives them the option of a fast, chargeable but not guaranteed successful service or call an appliance repair company.

My last washing machine had noisy bearings but it was built in and didnt fancy the hastle of fitting a new door etc so I elected to repair it. 20 mins later looking at the drum its moulded and glued together.So unable to change bearings/seals.
New drum unit cost more than a new washer?? so bought a new washer and rejiged the door to fit.

Hi folks,

I occasionally get calls for appliance repairs, and got one tonight from a stressed sounding chippy owner about his deep fat fryer. I politely turned him down and gave him the number of someone I know who deals with appliances, as I knows very little really. But then it got me thinking. I have carried out minor repairs before to cooker extractors, and obviously oven/NSH/towel radiator elements etc. And I was thinking which type of appliances are still fairly straight forward these days. I would not want to go near a washing machine for example, but should I entertain other items? If so, which are the simpler beasts out there?

I would expect there is an increasing amount of circuitry in modern day appliances, so is it best to completely avoid, as electronics is not my forte. I would say I have a reasonable grasp of basic engineering and design principles, and can often fathom things out. I am after an idea as to whether it's best to stay well clear in the future of this, albeit minor, possible area of work.

Any tips welcomed.
pub chip fryers are a doddle. switch, stat, thermal cut-out, element , and a few bits of wire.

I've done loads of domestic repairs. Its normally a cheap part but it does involve one visit to track down the faulty part. Then a second to fir so the labour time racks up.
Also done a few fat fryers. Almost always the thermal cut out as the fault for me. Because they are commercial they are normally well marked up so easy to locate and replace. But again it needs 2 visits.

My fav (not so much) is the dryer clogged with fluff. The old sort is a fire risk and the condenser type just won't pump water out. If I can help with it I do, but the condenser type are tough to clean thoroughly in a domestic environment.

IMG_0422.PNG

I extend as far as oven elements and simple such stuff with appliance repair, and only then if I'm there to do other things. It simply does not interest me at all. Rooting around in a washer full of smelly water is too much like being a plumber for my liking.

I recommend a local appliance repair shop who return the favour which leads to the odd job installing oven supplies when the customer needs an uprated circuit for their new appliance.

I've fixed my own range cooker several times, but think would of been cheaper by now to of got a new one with an extended warranty?
When I've been asked by customers to fix appliances, I gave them the name of a guy who fixed my washing machine a few years ago. I'd been recommending this guy for years, until a little old lady asked if I new someone who could fix her oven. So I said yeah try 'so & so', she replied 'I won't have that arsehole in my house!'. :eek:

Aaargh domestic repairs - the bane of my life. I don't do domestic or general commercial wiring so I don't run ap against faulty washers or dead fryers. But people know I do electronic stuff so they try to sneak in moody gadgets for me to fix 'if I have a moment.' How many moments do they think I have?

The problem is when you don't do much of it. When lots of the same models are going through your hands on a daily basis, you can get very quick and accurate at diagnosis and repair. From my days at university and shortly after, repairing IT / AV / music gear to earn a crust, I can still remember many of the circuits, component values, stock faults, mods, tweaks, and traps for the unwary even 20 years later. I would know which spares to carry in stock, which other parts to replace when one part fails (to avoid callbacks), which items to condemn on sight as more trouble than they are worth. If you are only doing it occasionally you don't get the benefit of that experience; jobs take longer and are more likely to bounce back.

funnily enough, step-daughter 's oven stopped working saturday. went there yesterday. 30 mins to pull out, strip off top and back, 5 mins to replace spade terminal on neutral end of element. strrangely had no screws left over when done.

.....I must get all the blocked pumps and brushes faults then! :)
Its amazing how many times you come across a washing machine where its just a simple job of unblocking the pump chamber. I've been to loads of jobs where the client has chucked out the old washing machine for a new one without any thought for having it repaired. Often I've offered to get rid of the old one for them, taken them home and found that it was an easy fault to fix. At one time I had a nice little stock of used but working machines. They've dwindled away now as friends and family have blagged them from me. Though at least they have been recycled and done a favour for those dear to me. :)

i picked up a creda condenser dryer from the local council tip. all that was wrong with it was thermal overload on the heater had failed. 75p to fix and had it for 7 years before the motor packed in.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Some good info there, and so I shall continue as is I think with oven elements etc..

The step daughters oven was probably my fault Tel for starting this thread!! So apologies!

Last edited:

Reply to Appliance repairs... Stick or twist.. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net