• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

diyterry

Trying to make sense of a confusing world
Hello. I am extending my bathroom, but one of the walls that will be incorporated into the bathroom has a socket fitted. Is this allowed in a bathroom or is it best to remove the socket and fit a cover?

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.

diyterry

13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.[/QUOTE
13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.
Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
3 miles from zone 1? that's in the local pub.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
If you were to do it yourself, you cannot just connect them together and plaster over the joint. You could replace the socket with a blank plate, however.

stevethesparks

Electrician's Arms
Designate your bath as a swimming pool, and as long as its rcd protected you can reduce the distance to 2 metres. :)
I am kidding of course but it's in the regs 702.53ii a socket outlet is permitted in zone 2 and that's 2 metres from the edge of the pool

diyterry

'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.
Thank you, could you recommend a suitable maintenance free junction box?

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Starting to get step by step. You could just Goggle that for yourself. Still think your best bet is to employ a sparks. Whats £**'ish matter in new bathroom build?

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Google WAGO
btw, the junction does not need to be maintenance free- it will be under a (removable) blank plate.

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
He said he's re-plasterboarding, so it will be behind the wall.
Then he needs to remove the cables from the wall completely as there will not be anything denoting the presence of cables in the wall.

@diyterry Do the cables come up from the floor or down from the ceiling?

PEG

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Leave the socket where it is...get a toaster...start living life on the edge,dude ;)

johnduffell

Regular EF Member
Such work could be notifiable to local building control.
I gave you a Funny because it's one of those situations where doing it just before knocking down the wall wouldn't be notifiable, but after would.
Anyway, not a lot of people realise that replacing a bathroom is classed as building work under the building regulations and should be notified to the local building control.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.