Discuss baffled by immersion heater?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1smokinace

hi, has anyone ever come across an immersion heater where the white pre fitted cable would be the neutral? im pretty sure the said piece of cable would go to the stat with the feed (brown L) going to the other side??? the reason i ask is ive just asked to a neighbours home where she has a e7 water heater fitted along with a standard water heater, the thing is a so called spark has recently been and fitted a new (lol old/used) water heater for the e7 but it isnt working, there is power to it at the set times but as i said the pre fitted cable was connected to the neutral of the feed flex. would this make a difference? a link was also fitted by mr lol sparky to the other terminal from the stat., weird?? the thing is he has skanked the old dear, charged a fortune for what looks like the old water heater with a new stat, (b&q£8). am i right in thinking to test i should get continuity through the water heater element but nothing between the element terminals and earth? mr sparky lol wont come back and refused to give the old dear a reciept. knob. anyhoo im goin to redo the job for the old dear for about a 3rd of the charge he made. should be shot. ps he did this without draining the cylinder, funny as the heater in question is at bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello, not sure what you mean by the "white" cable...
yes you should get continuity thru the element...
no you shouldn't get any continuity thru the element to earth...

might sound a daft question, but if you are asking all these questions, are you qualified???

Re:faulty immersion heater??

yes m8 i am, not had to much to do with water heaters though, more into industrial/comercial work. the white cable i refer to is pre fitted to one of the water heater terminals, this always goes to the outgoing side of the stat with the feed opposite, the reason im confused is that on the casting of the water heater it shows N next to the terminal with the fitted white cable, v unusual, the reason i asked about the testing is a double check on the element. and as i thought it is knackered.

Re: faulty immersion heater??

yes m8 i am, not had to much to do with water heaters though, more into industrial/comercial work. the white cable i refer to is pre fitted to one of the water heater terminals, this always goes to the outgoing side of the stat with the feed opposite, the reason im confused is that on the casting of the water heater it shows N next to the terminal with the fitted white cable, v unusual, the reason i asked about the testing is a double check on the element. and as i thought it is knackered.

yes you can get prewired neutrals in white cable not sure why they do this maybe its because its heat resistant and the I.H maunufacturers dont have to bother about colour .

Re: faulty immersion heater??

the yanks use white as neutral

You say it like it's a bad thing:D. What's funny is that white is our neutral color on the secondary of the utility transformer, but the utility itself uses white as a phase conductor color on the primary. Standard primary utility colors are red, white, and blue.

Usually m8, your brown out of your flex goes directly to your stat terminal, out the other side of the stat there is a heat res/ cable usually solid core and yeh white in colour which goes to one side of the element, the blue out of the flex goes directly to the otherside of the element, the N terminal, and obviously earth to earth.
There should be no reading from L or N to earth m8.

Reply to baffled by immersion heater?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net