Discuss Best invoicing software for electricians in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there a preferring invoicing app which you use?

I am a programmer and wondered if there are features which you would like on an invoicing app. For example, instead of having to type the job description each time, there could be pre loaded common jobs which you select from.

I love creating VERY user friendly apps and would like to create an invoicing app specific to the electrical trade. Your input very much needed!

One that is compliant with ‘making tax digital’ BS, does VAT, domestic reverse charges and links with the bank account properly.

Nobody seems to have properly nailed all of those. Using QuickBooks. Its ‘ok’

Thank you, this is useful feedback. I see that Xero offer invoicing ready for making tax digital but for their £10/month fee they only allow you to send quotes to 20 customer which isn't particle for most electricians. I am going to look at the .gov 'Overview of Making Tax Digital' to get a deeper understanding of what is required.

However, I think my focus will be on invoicing rather than full accounting software. Do you think that invoicing as a stand alone app is useful/required by your industry?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be pointless me having a separate invoicing app, as I am already required to pay for an accounting app to comply with making tax digital that allows me to do invoices.

I use Quickfile... it's mostly free ! Does invoicing, has bank feeds, bank recs, auto filing of VAT etc... all the things that I need it for. It's not perfect... but ticks most of my boxes.

I use Quickfile for invoicing too - but there is definitely space for a smarter one that is aimed specifically at electricians.

I've looked at several of the 'job management' combination ones like Tradify and they are far too complicated for a sole trader that works on one site at a time.

But a simple job management app for sole traders would be very useful - the only issue would be whether there is the market to produce one at a reasonable cost.

One feature springs to mind that I'd find really useful - a button that could be clicked on arrival at a job, then keep track of hours spent until the button is pressed again, when it can auto suggest an invoice total (manually adjusted if necessary) then fire it off immediately to an email, while keeping records for later integration with other systems. I've been thinking of rolling my own with an automation app like tasker, but never have the time.

Perhaps a similar system that could be used on site when doing quotes to choose from a selection of pre defined 'jobs', 'parts', etc to make it possible to estimate on the spot - or save for later adjustment to make a guaranteed quote.

Was using QuickBooks but migrated to Xero as QB messed my year end payroll up.accountant switched me to Xero. Does all I need. I have job templates so type a number and it autofills with what ever i set it up as.
Links to hmrc for vat, paye, corporation tax etc...
Accountants can log in remotely and do what she needs. Press of button tax man gets all he needs.
I email invoices from the software.
It links to bank account. Costs £20+vat per month through accountant

Some let you keep track of miles travelled to claim/invoice for that. A bit creepy if you are an employee, not so bad if you are the employer!

We use Xero as our accountant recommended it, but nothing very fancy so can't compare to any other.

I use Quickfile for invoicing too - but there is definitely space for a smarter one that is aimed specifically at electricians.

I've looked at several of the 'job management' combination ones like Tradify and they are far too complicated for a sole trader that works on one site at a time.

But a simple job management app for sole traders would be very useful - the only issue would be whether there is the market to produce one at a reasonable cost.

One feature springs to mind that I'd find really useful - a button that could be clicked on arrival at a job, then keep track of hours spent until the button is pressed again, when it can auto suggest an invoice total (manually adjusted if necessary) then fire it off immediately to an email, while keeping records for later integration with other systems. I've been thinking of rolling my own with an automation app like tasker, but never have the time.

Perhaps a similar system that could be used on site when doing quotes to choose from a selection of pre defined 'jobs', 'parts', etc to make it possible to estimate on the spot - or save for later adjustment to make a guaranteed quote.
Very good idea, this is very doable and makes perfect sense for people who charge 'per hour'.

Was using QuickBooks but migrated to Xero as QB messed my year end payroll up.accountant switched me to Xero. Does all I need. I have job templates so type a number and it autofills with what ever i set it up as.
Links to hmrc for vat, paye, corporation tax etc...
Accountants can log in remotely and do what she needs. Press of button tax man gets all he needs.
I email invoices from the software.
It links to bank account. Costs £20+vat per month through accountant
Thanks for sharing.

I have been considering the idea of a button that could be clicked on arrival at a job, then keep track of hours spent until the button is pressed again. My concern is if there are enough tradespeople who charge per hour, rather than for the whole job. Unfortunately, when I search Google for "tradespeople who charge per hour", Google doesn't understand and instead show me the hourly rate that tradespeople can demand! Can you offer any thoughts on this?

I have been considering the idea of a button that could be clicked on arrival at a job, then keep track of hours spent until the button is pressed again. My concern is if there are enough tradespeople who charge per hour, rather than for the whole job. Unfortunately, when I search Google for "tradespeople who charge per hour", Google doesn't understand and instead show me the hourly rate that tradespeople can demand! Can you offer any thoughts on this?
I think it varies a lot and depends on the job, but I'd say that a lot of electricians, plumbers and other trades base unplanned jobs at least on an hourly rate. I did the same when I fixed computers as a previous occupation.

Some might have a call out or minimum charge, which could perhaps be set separately and taken into consideration too.

I also vary things slightly depending on whether it's a job for a regular client (landlord with several properties for example), or a new client. Travel is sometimes also taken into account if it's further than normal.

However, regardless of that, a system that kept records of how long was spent at each job would be useful purely for information, even if it was decided later to charge for less time.

There are possibly also tradesmen who work to a fixed price for a particular task, such as installing a kitchen, changing a consumer unit, etc. but those would usually be quoted for in advance anyway.

I think it varies a lot and depends on the job, but I'd say that a lot of electricians, plumbers and other trades base unplanned jobs at least on an hourly rate. I did the same when I fixed computers as a previous occupation.

Some might have a call out or minimum charge, which could perhaps be set separately and taken into consideration too.

I also vary things slightly depending on whether it's a job for a regular client (landlord with several properties for example), or a new client. Travel is sometimes also taken into account if it's further than normal.

However, regardless of that, a system that kept records of how long was spent at each job would be useful purely for information, even if it was decided later to charge for less time.

There are possibly also tradesmen who work to a fixed price for a particular task, such as installing a kitchen, changing a consumer unit, etc. but those would usually be quoted for in advance anyway.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have decided to give this a go! I will base the app around invoicing initially, but wit the added function of timing your work day. I am obsessed with simplicity and functionality so it will be extremely user friendly.

The basic idea is that you can create a new client, then create a job name for that client, click 'start' and 'end' job, which will auto generate an invoice. That is the basics but I can expand on it if it proved useful.

It would be very helpful to get your feedback as it develops if you don't mind? It may take a month or so to get it all set up but I will keep you posted!

as my business has grown, i went from an Embassy 10's packet to a 20's. what with all the extra paperwork, I've had to progress to beermats. now even these are too small to enter all the data and so I am now considering Andrex. It comes on a roll and acceppts sharpie entries, albeit smudged, end of the day, once data has been transmitted to hmrc, enough left to wipe my arse.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have decided to give this a go! I will base the app around invoicing initially, but wit the added function of timing your work day. I am obsessed with simplicity and functionality so it will be extremely user friendly.

The basic idea is that you can create a new client, then create a job name for that client, click 'start' and 'end' job, which will auto generate an invoice. That is the basics but I can expand on it if it proved useful.

It would be very helpful to get your feedback as it develops if you don't mind? It may take a month or so to get it all set up but I will keep you posted!
I will like to see the outcome, keep us posted...

I certainly will, I am about 10% through the development and all going well. The design is very clean and simple and the backend coding is shaping up nicely. I've downloaded all the major invoicing apps and have kept what works and simplified anything that was complicated. Watch this space!

Hi all, just a quick post to let you know I have made great progress on the invoicing app. It should be ready in about 3 months with beautiful simple layout, a timer for generating invoices based off of hours worked, estimates and customer organisation. Here's a preview of the layout for creating an invoice .. hope you like the design!

Best invoicing software for electricians full-phone-shadow-enlarged - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Best invoicing software for electricians in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock