Discuss Best practice for moving a consumer unit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Thomps

Just been to see a job and the guy wants his consumer unit moved. It is curently in his kitchen and he changing that to a bathroom and building a new kitchen in the extension. The original wiring looks to a decent standard so i will be looking at extending the wiring from some sort of din rail terminal system to the new board.

Do you have to use spring terminals or is it ok to use a screw terminal? Is it acceptable to join the 10mm bonding or is it a no no?

This is the first time i've ever moved a board so any advice would be appreciated.

Insulated box with din rail connections is ideal.....either spring or screw,but must be accessible if they are not so called 'maintenance free'. Bonding can be joined by a compression crimp/heat shrink.

as above. wagobox do a range of din rail connectors, push in. very keen price as well.

If the original location is going to be a bathroom, then remember to use a box suitable for that location. There are plenty of IP55+ enclosures on the market, although I'm sure the client will want it boxed in somehow. Just make sure there is access to the box, unless you are installing either the LineProducts MF kit or the Ashley MF kit, as simply using push-fit connectors will not make it MF.
Of course, you could always crimp and sleeve inside the box if you have a suitable ratchet tool.

Thanks all.

Am i right in thinking that it would be ok to use insulinks covered in heat-shrink which is contained in a suitable enclosure? And is this a recognised MF method or would it have to be accessible?

The meter is also getting moved, but not by me, to the same location as the new CU.

The meter is also getting moved, but not by me, to the same location as the new CU.

funnily enough me an Telextric had a conversation about this the other day and to me an adaptable box and din rails all the way it was the same scenario to moving the CDU from a room to what was going to be a bathroom heres the pic of the extension boxBest practice for moving a consumer unit. GEDC4630 - EletriciansForums.net the connectors are wago push in din rail mounts so easy to use to0

that's a lovely neat job, nick. my install this week is a lot less circiuts than that. i'm just debating with myself whether to go for LNE.LNE, etc. or LLL NNN EEE, etc.

that's a lovely neat job, nick. my install this week is a lot less circiuts than that. i'm just debating with myself whether to go for LNE.LNE, etc. or LLL NNN EEE, etc.

LNE everytime for me, but horses for courses.

that's my preference. keep each cct. together. will post a pic when done.

thank you Tel thats the one we were talking about the other day mate , each circuit was as it is so you have a ring its LEN LEN . then the next circuit LEN , its the way ive always done it just stuck

Last edited by a moderator:
well, it's only 8 circuits, so plenty of room. client may want smokes adding so have allowed for a 12 way CU.

Reply to Best practice for moving a consumer unit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock